You will love how juicy and flavorful this Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken is, I promise!
This chicken recipe is so easy like my Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe. It is super moist and flavorful and takes very little effort. This recipe could not be any easier, with a few minutes of prep and in a couple of hours, you'll have a delicious chicken. Perfect to serve as is or use in other recipes like my Ultimate Chicken Casserole.
Making aluminum foil balls helps keep the chicken lifted so it doesn't sit in the juices while cooking. Giving it more of a rotisserie flavor.
I kid you not, once you try this you will never buy another chicken from the deli again. I never use my oven anymore to make a whole chicken. I prefer to just set it and forget it. You'll feel so proud when your family wants seconds.
Looking for more slow cooker recipes?
- Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Burritos
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Bean and Bacon Soup
This chicken is perfect for a busy week. It will save you time and money and you can shred it for salads, sandwiches, and casseroles just to name a few. This recipe is perfect for my Chicken Caesar Salad Wrap. or my Mini Freezer Chicken Pot Pies.
Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken
Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken is moist and flavorful and a super easy dinner option that takes very little effort.
- 5 lb chicken
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 whole head of garlic minced (about 8-9 cloves)
- 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Remove the inner parts from the chicken and pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Make 4 large aluminum foil balls and place them into the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl mix softened butter, garlic, zest, and juice of 1 lemon, salt, and pepper until combined.
- With a spoon lift the skin up from the breast and place about 1 tablespoon of garlic butter under the skin on both sides of the breast. Rub the remaining garlic butter all over the outside of the chicken skin.
- Place chicken on the foil balls, and place sliced lemon along the sides of the chicken.
- Cook for 4- 4 1/2 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
- If your slow cooker has a removable crockery insert (check to make sure it is oven safe first) place it in the oven and broil for 4-5 minutes to get the skin crispy. You can also flip the chicken and broil it another 4-5 minutes to crisp up the other side. If your slow cooker isn't oven-safe just place your chicken on a sheet pan and then broil for 4-5 minutes in the oven.
- Let rest for 10 minutes and carve, drizzle juices over cut-up chicken.
You can use a couple of whole large onions cut in half instead of the foil balls if you prefer.
Amount Per Serving Calories 979Total Fat 65gSaturated Fat 24gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 35gCholesterol 396mgSodium 1096mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 91g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.
The video shows added lemon juice but the written ingredients it doesn’t say juice just zest? Looks delicious! Thank you so much!
I edited it so it's less confusing. I have made this chicken with the breast up and face down, and there isn't a difference. Yes, if you don't like lemon you can definitely leave it out.:)
Hi..the recipe sounds delicious, however, I am confused. In your directions it says "Place chicken breast side down onto the foil balls"..wouldn't that mean upside down? In the video, the top/breast is facing up.
Also, can this be made without lemon?
Hi! What a delicious sounding recipe! If I wanted to make this in my Instapot, I’m thinking it could could on the Poultry setting, how long do you think it should be set for? 25 minutes is what I’m thinking. 😃
You could use any cut of chicken really, you just have to adjust the cooking times. 🙂
So I think you could do this with boneless chicken breasts?