Slow Cooker French Toast Casserole is an easy breakfast for a lazy day weekend brunch recipe or holiday breakfast.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
One of my favorite things about this french toast is the yummy crumb topping. Slightly crunchy bits that have caramelized into delicious bites of heaven. You're family is going to love this filling no-fuss delicious breakfast.
Why this recipe works
Slow cooker French toast casserole recipe may take a couple of hours to cook and all the work is done the night before. That allows plenty of time fry up some bacon or sausage, so you're able to have everything ready to serve at once. If you'd rather have a savory make ahead breakfast casserole recipe you'd love my Easy Breakfast Casserole or my Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole.
Ingredients needed for this recipe
Bread-Stale bread works best if not fresh bread will also work.
Vanilla- I like to use pure vanilla extract.
Brown Sugar- Either light or dark brown sugar will work.
Nutmeg- I like to grate my own nutmeg.
How to make this recipe
Step 1-In a small bowl add the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and walnuts, mix until combined.
Step 2- Cut the loaf of bread into bread cubes and place bread into a large mixing bowl
Step 3- In a medium bowl combine eggs, milk, vanilla, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and whisk.
Step 4- Pour the custard mixture over the cubed bread and toss until well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at least 4 hours or overnight. Rub the slow cooker with 1 tablespoon of butter. Place soaked bread in the slow cooker and sprinkle the crumb topping over the top.
- You can use any 6qt or larger slow cooker or crockpot for this recipe.
- Rubbing butter in the slow cooker helps to prevent sticking and allows for those crispy edges.
- Serve with a good quality warm maple syrup.
- You could also use pecans instead of walnuts, or add some blueberries.
Sure, French bread, Brioche bread, or even Challah bread all work great in this crockpot French toast casserole.
Yes, this crock pot French toast can be made in the oven. Grease a 9x13 pan with the butter and bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or fry in a little butter in a hot skillet.
More breakfast casseroles
Slow Cooker French Toast Casserole
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 loaf french bread cubed about 10-12 cups
- 6 eggs whisked
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a small bowl add the 4 tablespoons of butter, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, nutmeg, and walnuts. Mix with a fork until combined.
- Cut the french bread into 1-inch cubes and place into a large bowl
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Pour the egg mixture over the cubed bread and toss until well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Rub 1 tablespoon of butter in the slow cooker. Place the bread mixture in the slow cooker and sprinkle the crumb topping over the top.
- Cook on low 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, syrup, and fresh fruit.