Bacon jalapeno popper wonton cups are little bites of heaven, loaded with cream cheese, cheese, crispy bacon, and jalapeños baked in a crispy wonton shell. The perfect party appetizer for game day or family gatherings.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
My classic Jalapeño Poppers are always a huge hit at game day parties, I had no doubt these jalapeño popper wontons would be the same. Crispy wonton cups with a spicy filling topped with melted cheese and crispy bacon bits are the perfect finger food.
why this recipe works
These jalapeño popper wonton cups are the perfect appetizer for football season. These delicious little bites use simple ingredients and can be made ahead of time like my Bacon Jalapeño Cheese Ball and my Party Pinwheels, which are both deliciously easy party food.
- Wonton wrappers: You want square wonton wrappers any brand works, they are usually located in the produce section of the grocery store.
- Cream cheese: Full-fat cream cheese is the creamiest.
- Sour cream: Full fat or light.
- Cheese: I use cheddar cheese and pepper jack
- Bacon: Thick or thin bacon works fine.
- Jalapeños: I use fresh jalapenos but pickled jalapeños will also work.
how to make crispy baked wonton cups
- Step 1: Preheat oven and Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and add the chopped bacon cook until crispy and drain to a paper towel.
- Step 2: In a medium mixing bowl combine cream cheese with the rest of the filling ingredients and mix until combined.
- Step 3: Brush melted butter on both sides of the wonton wrapper
- Step 4: Place each one in a mini muffin pan and bake just until lightly golden brown.
- Step 5: Add the filling to the partially baked wonton cups.
- Step 6: Add a pinch of shredded cheese on top of the filling.
- Step 7: Bake until golden brown and melted.
- Step 8: Add the reserved cooked bacon and green onions and serve.
- You can remove the seeds from the jalapeños for less heat.
- Ensure that your cream cheese is room temperature it will be much easier to combine the filling together.
- Shred your cheese! do not buy pre-shredded cheese its coated and tends to not melt as well.
- You can use pickled jalapeños instead of fresh if you prefer.
Yes, you can prep the bacon and filling and place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Brush the wrappers with butter and place them in the mini muffin tins and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven let them cool and place the crispy wonton cups in an airtight container or large ziplock freezer bag. Once ready assemble the cups and back.
Baking the wonton wrappers a bit first ensures they won't get soggy and lose their crispiness after you add the cheese filling.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes, or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Egg roll wrappers or spring roll wrappers will work in a pinch if you can't find wonton wrappers.
Bacon Jalapeño Popper Wonton Cups
- 12 ounces bacon cut into small pieces
- 24 wonton cups
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large jalapenos diced
- 1 1/2 cups cheese I use pepper jack and cheddar, divided
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- 2. Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and add the chopped bacon cook until crispy and drain to a paper towel.
- 3. In a medium mixing bowl add the cream cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, and 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese and the diced bacon (save 1/4 cup of the bacon for garnish) and mix until combined.
- 4. Lightly brush each wonton wrapper with the melted butter on both sides and place them in the mini muffin tin. Place in the center oven rack and bake for 5-7 minutes or just until slightly brown, remove from the oven.
- 5. Divide the mixture into the prebaked wonton cups and top with remaining shredded cheese. Bake another 12-14 minutes or until browned and cheese is melted.
- 6. Remove from the oven and top with reserved bacon bits and green onions and serve!