Baked chicken tacos are loaded with chicken, cheese, and refried beans and topped with all your favorite toppings.
Perfect for a crowd, or busy weeknight dinner all warm with gooey melted cheese and ready for toppings!
- Pica de Gallo
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapenos
Tips for making for baked chicken tacos
- Use a thick salsa, I preferred a jarred salsa.
- Bake the shells for 5 minutes before adding meat to crisp them up.
- Always put the refried beans on the bottom to create a barrier between the chicken mixture.
More taco recipes!
- Slow Cooker Beef Short Rib Tacos
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Tacos
- Chipotle Lime Flank Steak Taco
- Crispy Shrimp Tacos
Baked Chicken Tacos
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup salsa I use a thick jarred salsa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons taco seasonings or 1 package
- 10 taco shells I used Stand N Stuff Shells
- 15 oz can re-fried beans
- 2 cups shredded cheese
Pica de Gallo
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat add olive oil and ground chicken and diced onions. Using a spoon break up the chicken and cook until browned about 7-8 minutes. Drain if you have a lot of fat, and return to skillet, add in taco seasoning.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add in garlic and cook another 30 seconds or so. Add in salsa, mix and let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat
- In a medium saucepan heat the refried bean over medium heat, stirring until heated through.
- Place the taco shells into the baking dish, and bake for 5 minutes by themselves to let them crisp up a bit.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons beans into each taco shell and ¼-½ cup chicken mixture on top and place bake in the baking pan.
- Sprinkle each taco evenly with cheese.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and top with your favorite toppings.
- For the Pica De Gallo
- Place the ingredients in a small bowl and mix until combined.
- Add salt to taste.