These Flank Steak Street Tacos are perfect for your next taco Tuesday! Topped with a fresh pico de gallo that puts these babies over the top! This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
I wish every day was taco day, I mean I love them that much! These Chipotle-Lime Flank Steak Street Tacos are so easy and full of flavor. Marinated in lime juice, garlic, Chipotle, and cilantro seared on a super hot skillet or grill. YUM!
What is flank steak?
Flank steak is a long flat rather oddly shaped cut of meat. It has an intense beef flavor, that is great for marinades. This cut of meat needs to be cooked at high heat and fast, or else it can easily become dry and tough.
Skirt steak can often be used instead of flank steak in many recipes. Both cuts of meat need to be sliced thinly against the grain, for optimal tenderness. Flank steak or skirt steak are both fantastic for tacos and best when cooked to medium-rare.
Let's take a quick look at the ingredient list:
- Flank steak (skirt steak will also work)
- lime juice
- chipotle peppers
- olive oil
- red onions
- Marinade for 8 hours for optimal flavor
- Cook the steak to medium rare and slice thinly against the grain.
- If your not sure how to tell when the steak is done I highly recommend using a digital meat thermometer.
- Let the meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- I used white corn tortillas, but flour tortillas are another great option.
- I highly recommend grilling the tortillas, it adds a nice layer of flavor.
Toppings for steak tacos
- Cheese, I use cotija but any cheese will work
- Pica De Gallo
- Sour cream
What to serve with this recipe
- Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Fire Roasted Salsa
- Mexican Watermelon Salsa
More Mexican Recipes
- Mexican Pizza
- Slow Cooker Beef Burrito
- Cajun Shrimp Fajitas
- Crunchwrap Supreme
- Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
- Crispy Shrimp Tacos
- 2 lbs flank steak
- Juice of 4 limes
- 4 chipotle peppers diced plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onions
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes diced
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- corn tortillas or flour tortillas
- Cotija cheese
- In a small bowl add lime juice, chipotles and adobo sauce, salt, garlic, cilantro and olive oil mix until combined. in a large ziplock bag add flank steak and pour marinade in. Refrigerate for 4-8 hours.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or grill on high. Remove the steak from marinade and place it on the hot skillet/grill for about 4-5 minutes then flip and cook another 4-5 minutes for medium rare. Or until desired doneness.
- Let steak rest 10-15 minutes. Then slice in thin slices against the grain.
- Pica de gallo- Combine onions, jalapeños, tomatoes and chopped cilantro in a large bowl. Squeeze in the juice of 2 limes and add the salt. Mix until combined Add more salt to taste
You can also use skirt steak, or flap meat.
If you have leftover chipotle peppers in adobo sauce just through it all in a freezer baggie and freeze it for other recipes.
Serving Size4 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 756Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 181mgSodium 1727mgCarbohydrates 46gFiber 6gSugar 21gProtein 67g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.