Slow cooker Southern green beans take comfort food to a whole new level.
These green beans are so good, cooked slowly with the onions, garlic and bacon of course. I’ve never been a huge fan of green beans but these are delicious, I make them a lot for our family.
There is just something about adding bacon to vegetables, it creates the best southern side dish. Plus the addition of the diced potato soaks up the juices and tastes delicious.
Tips for making slow cooker green beans
- I use fresh green beans, not canned.
- After rinsing, trim off the ends of the green bean. I usually get the beans that are already prepped and ready in the bags.
- I also prefer to cut my beans in half, but you can leave them long if you want it doesn’t change anything.
- The diced potatoes soaks up the cooking juices and it so good.
- You can toss the cooked bacon in with the beans while it cooks but I like to sprinkle the bacon on top at the end.
Items I used for this recipe:
Looking for more delicious side dishes?
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- Honey Garlic Roasted Carrots
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans (rinsed and trimmed)
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 russet potato peeled and diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire
- pinch of red pepper flakes optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the trimmed green beans to the slow cooker. (I like to cut mine in half)
- Cut bacon into small pieces and cook over medium heat until crispy. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions into the bacon grease and saute until soft about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until fragarent about 30 seconds.
- Add sauteed onions and garlic and bacon grease to the green beans. Followed by the diced potatoes.
- Pour in the chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce and red pepper flakes if desired. Give the green beans a toss. Cover.
- Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 5-6 hours or until desired tenderness.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle cooked bacon on top and serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 113 Total Fat 4g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 12mg Sodium 376mg Carbohydrates 13g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 3g Sugar 4g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 7g