Creamy chicken stroganoff recipe is made with simple ingredients and an easy weeknight meal, it's a tasty dish on your dinner table in just 30 minutes.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This super easy homemade chicken stroganoff recipe is warm and comforting. A nice variation to the classic Beef Stroganoff, perfect for a weeknight meal that the whole family will love. I love to serve it with a side of my No Knead Artisan Bread and a crispy green salad or a side of green beans.
Why this recipe works
It is loaded with tender chicken, mushrooms, and a super creamy sauce like my Cajun Chicken and Sausage Pasta or my Skillet Chicken with Garlic Cream Sauce. Chicken stroganoff is a delicious, easy-to-make, and nutritious dish that is the perfect quick dinner for any occasion, whether you're cooking for yourself or for a group of friends or family members.
- Chicken: I like to use boneless chicken thighs. But if you prefer chicken breasts those work too just be careful not to overcook them.
- Mushrooms: Brown cremini mushrooms, or white button mushrooms.
- Stock: Use chicken stock or chicken broth.
- Worcestershire sauce: Do not leave this out.
- Sour cream: Use full fat.
- Pasta: You can really use any pasta with chicken stroganoff. I prefer extra wide egg noodles. Whatever you choose just make sure your cook your pasta al dente.
How to make this recipe
- Step 1: Heat a 12-inch large skillet on medium-high heat add olive oil and add the bite-size pieces of chicken in batches into the hot pan. Cook until they become golden brown, and remove to a plate.
- Step 2: Cook chicken pieces until browned and remove to a plate.
- Step 3: Add in some butter and the diced onions and cook. Then add in the sliced mushrooms and garlic.
- Step 4: Stir in the flour and cook for 30 seconds.
- Step 5: Add in the rest of the ground spices.
- Step 6: Pour in the chicken stock and whisk until combined then bring to a gentle simmer.
- Step 7: Whisk in the sour cream until creamy.
- Step 8: Mix back in the cooked chicken and pasta and serve!
- The brown bits on the bottom of the pan from cooking the chicken are called fond. It gives the sauce that delicious flavor.
- Cook the chicken in batches or else the chicken will steam and not be able to get that golden brown color.
- As the stroganoff sits it will begin to thicken and absorb into the noodles.
It has a creamy sour cream sauce made with chicken stock thickened with flour. Buttery mushrooms, tender chicken, and pasta, is an easy dinner any night of the week.
Yes, I recommend making the chicken and sour cream gravy and storing it in a container until ready. Then toss in your freshly cooked pasta and serve!
Sour cream is usually the preferred choice you can use plain greek yogurt as a substitute.
Yes, you can freeze chicken stroganoff sauce without the sour cream. Sour cream doesn't freeze well and will separate during the thawing process. Freeze the sauce in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Heat in a skillet until heated through then whisk in the sour cream and fold in the freshly cooked pasta.
Creamy Chicken Stroganoff
- 12 ounces wide egg noodle
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely diced
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced (I use Cremini)
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add noodles, and cook al dente according to the directions.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat drizzle olive oil. Add chicken in batches to sear until they become golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan add 2 tablespoons butter, add the onions and cook for about 2 minutes, add mushrooms and garlic and cook for about 2 more minutes. Add the remaining butter, once melted add the flour and paprika and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, and chicken bring to a gentle simmer, and simmer until thickened. Stir in sour cream and add salt and pepper.
- Add Noodles to skillet and stir. Top with fresh parsley