Grilled cheese hot dogs have a juicy hot dog, crispy bacon, gooey cheese, and sweet onions all piled on a crispy bun and melted to perfection!
If you’re a fan of hot dogs and grilled cheese sandwiches then you’ll love this one. Buttery, crispy, gooey grilled cheese with sliced hot dogs, crispy bacon, onions, and jalapenos.
How to make hot dog grilled cheese
1. Fry your bacon in a hot skillet until crispy.
2. Drain some of the fat and add in the onions and jalapenos and cook until soft.
3. Slice hot dogs 3/4 of the way through.
4. Place on a hot griddle or skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
5. Brush melted butter on top of hot dog bun
6. Place bun on the grill pan and add hot dog, bacon, and onions.
7. Place the cheese on top.
8. Close the bun and grill for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and melty.
Why do you slice the hot dogs?
Slicing the hot dogs partway through will help them lay flat and fill up more of the surface area on the bread. Plus you get more of that grilled flavor on the hot dog.
- Use whatever kind of cheese you love.
- If you don’t have hot dog buns just use regular bread.
- You can leave out the onions and jalapenos and even the bacon and they would still be delicious!
- I do recommend prepping everything ahead before putting the sandwich together.
- Change things up a bit and using a juicy hot link or smoked sausage to take it up a notch.
What should I serve with this?
- Parmesan Onion Rings
- Crispy Baked Potato Wedges
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Beans
- Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad
- 6 hot dogs
- 6 hot dog Buns
- 12 slices bacon
- ½ cup onions, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3 cups shredded cheese (I use pepperjack and cheddar)
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat add the bacon and cook until crisp. Let drain on paper towels.
- In the same hot skillet add in the onions and peppers and cook just until softened about 6-7 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Flatten the hot dog buns with a rolling pin and set them aside.
- In a small bowl add the melted butter and garlic powder and mix until combined. Brush the melted butter on the outside of the hotdog bun.
- Cut a slit in the hot dogs about ¾ of the way through, careful not to slice all the way through. Press the hotdogs flat and place them on the hot skillet or grill pan. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Place hot dog bun, butter side down into the hot skillet, add ¼ cup of cheese, hot dog, bacon, and onion on top and another ¼ cup of cheese on top.
- Close the bun over the hot dog and let it grill for about 3-4 minutes, then flip and grill another 3-4 minutes or until cheese is totally melted.
You can use whatever cheese you prefer.
If you don't have hot dog buns just use bread.
I do recommend prepping everything before putting the sandwich together.
Amount Per Serving Calories 679Total Fat 47gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 117mgSodium 1453mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 32g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.