Chocolate Earthquake Cake is loaded with chocolate goodness and gooey cream cheese filling with a layer of coconut and pecans.
A moist and delicious chocolate cake that doesn’t even need frosting. The cream cheese frosting becomes all gooey inside the cake. A chocolate and cheesecake lover's dream dessert! Another favorite with a cream cheese filling is my Strawberry Roll Cake.
What is an earthquake cake?
Earthquake cake combines box cake mix with coconut and pecans and a delicious cream cheese filling. This cake doesn't even require frosting, because the frosting is inside the cake. Once baked the cream cheese mixture opens up and causes cracks which is how it got its name Earthquake Cake. For a quick and easy single serving cake try this 3 Ingredient Mug Cake.
Tips for chocolate earthquake cake
- If you’re a coconut hater then by all means leave it out.
- Walnuts will also work instead of pecans.
- This cake is the absolute best when served warm!
- Make sure your cake pan is at least 2 inches deep.
How to store Chocolate Earthquake Cake
Because it contains cream cheese I always recommend refrigerating any leftovers. You can always warm a piece up in the microwave if you like it warm.
Looking for more dessert recipes?
- Rich and Creamy Chocolate Pie
- Chocolate-Mayonnaise Cake
- New York Cheesecake
- Chocolate Bundt Cake with Ganache Frosting
- Spiced Rum Cake
- Classic Carrot Cake
- No-Bake Mini Chocolate Tarts
Chocolate Earthquake Cake
- 1 ½ cups sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- Eggs oil, and water needed for the cake mix
- ½ cup butter melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 ½ cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips I use semi-sweet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray
- Place the coconut and pecans on the bottom of the pan in an even layer.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the directions. And pour over the pecan and coconut layer.
- Place the softened cream cheese in a bowl with the melted butter and mix with an electric mixer until combined. Gradually add in the confectioner's sugar and beat on low speed until smooth.
- Place dollops of cream cheese mixture all over the cake mix. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and serve with vanilla ice cream.