Chocolate Earthquake Cake is loaded with chocolate goodness and gooey cream cheese filling with a layer of coconut and pecans.
A moist and delicious chocolate cake that doesn’t even need frosting. The cream cheese frosting becomes all gooey inside the cake. A chocolate and cheesecake lover’s dream dessert!
What is an earthquake cake?
Earthquake cake combines box cake mix with coconut and pecans and a delicious cream cheese filling. This cake doesn’t even require frosting, because the frosting is inside the cake. Once baked the cream cheese mixture opens up and causes cracks which is how it got its name Earthquake Cake.
Tips for chocolate earthquake cake
- If you’re a coconut hater then by all means leave it out.
- Walnuts will also work instead of pecans.
- This cake is the absolute best when served warm!
- Make sure your cake pan is at least 2 inches deep.
How to store Chocolate Earthquake Cake
Because it contains cream cheese I always recommend refrigerating any leftovers. You can always warm a piece up in the microwave if you like it warm.
Looking for more dessert recipes?
- Rich and Creamy Chocolate Pie
- Chocolate-Mayonnaise Cake
- New York Cheesecake
- Chocolate Bundt Cake with Ganache Frosting
- Spiced Rum Cake
- Classic Carrot Cake
- No-Bake Mini Chocolate Tarts
- 1 ½ cups sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- Eggs, oil, and water needed for the cake mix
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ½ cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray
- Place the coconut and pecans on the bottom of the pan in an even layer.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the directions. And pour over the pecan and coconut layer.
- Place the softened cream cheese in a bowl with the melted butter and mix with an electric mixer until combined. Gradually add in the confectioner's sugar and beat on low speed until smooth.
- Place dollops of cream cheese mixture all over the cake mix. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Amount Per Serving Calories 562Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 55mgSodium 495mgCarbohydrates 77gFiber 3gSugar 55gProtein 5g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.