Slow-Cooker Classic Pot Roast is the ultimate family meal! A super hearty meal that's made with basic ingredients.
This slow cooker classic pot roast is so easy and every bite is flavorful. This set it and forget recipe only takes a few ingredients. Basically, just throw it all in the slow cooker then 8 hours later dinner is served. Classic comfort food at its best, doesn't get much easier than that right?
How to make Slow Cooker Classic Pot Roast
- Generously salt and pepper both sides of the roast
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and sear both sides of the roast, place them in the slow cooker
- Add more olive oil to the skillet and add the carrots and onions and cook just to get a little caramelization on them. Place them in the slow cooker.
- Add the garlic, beef broth thyme, and rosemary to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high 4-6 hours or on low 8 hours
Do I have to brown the roast?
Technically no. But it is just so much better if you do. Not only does it give it some extra color but searing the roast first allows it to develop more complex flavors. The sugars and fats caramelize on the surface and give it that extra richness.
What should I serve with or roast?
- Roasted Garlic Red Mashed Potatoes
- Artisan No-Knead Bread
- Garlic Roasted Mashed Potatoes
- Sweet Honey Cornbread
- 3-5 pound chuck roast
- 6 large carrots unpeeled cut in half
- 2 onions cut into large chunks
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon flour
- Kosher salt
- Generously add salt and pepper both sides of the roast.
- Heat a large heavy bottom pot or cast iron skillet on medium high. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil and add the roast and sear on each side about 2 minutes them flip and sear another 2 minutes. Remove and place roast in the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the oil to the skillet and add the onions and carrots and cook 3-4 minutes just until a little caramelization starts. Remove them and add them to the slow cooker with the garlic.
- Add the beef broth, Thyme and rosemary
- Cook on low 8 hours or on high 5-6 hours
- Once roast is done, strain 2 cups liquid from slow cooker and set aside.
- In a skillet melt 3 tablespoons butter, whisk in flour and cook on low for 1 minute to get rid of the flour taste. Add 2 cups liquid and whisk together until combined. Bring to a low boil then reduce heat. Simmer liquid until it thickens.
If you want to add potatoes to the slow cooker. Cut them into large chunks and add them about halfway into the cooking time to ensure they don't turn to mush.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 1088Total Fat 73gSaturated Fat 29gTrans Fat 4gUnsaturated Fat 39gCholesterol 329mgSodium 1009mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 97g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.