Slow Cooker Classic Pot Roast is the ultimate family meal!
This slow cooker classic pot roast is so easy and every bite is flavorful. This set it and forget recipe only takes a few ingredients. Basically just throw it all in the slow cooker then 8 hours later dinner is served. Classic comfort food at its best, doesn’t get much easier then that right?
How to make Slow Cooker Classic Pot Roast
- Generously salt and pepper both sides of the roast
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat and sear both sides of the roast, place them in the slow cooker
- Add more olive oil to the skillet and add the carrots and onions and cook just to get a little caramelization on them. Place them in the slow cooker.
- Add the garlic, beef broth thyme and rosemary to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high 4-6 hours or on low 8 hours
My favorite part is the carrots, to me they are just as much the star as the roast. I usually make my Garlic Roasted Mashed Potatoes because that is what my family prefers. Although you could totally toss some potatoes into the slow cooker if would like.
But guys really this recipe is to die for. It comes out so moist and tender, and your house will smell delicious as it braises in the slow cooker…. Everybody will think you slaved in the kitchen all day, but no one needs to know how easy it was.
Slow Cooker Classic Pot Roast
- 3-5 pound chuck roast
- 6 large carrots unpeeled cut in half
- 2 onions cut into large chunks
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon flour
- Kosher salt
- Generously add salt and pepper both sides of the roast.
Heat a large heavy bottom pot or cast iron skillet on medium high. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil and add the roast and sear on each side about 2 minutes them flip and sear another 2 minutes. Remove and place roast in the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the oil to the skillet and add the onions and carrots and cook 3-4 minutes just until a little caramelization starts. Remove them and add them to the slow cooker with the garlic.
Add the beef broth, Thyme and rosemary
- Cook on low 8 hours or on high 5-6 hours
- Once roast is done, strain 2 cups liquid from slow cooker and set aside.
- In a skillet melt 3 tablespoons butter, whisk in flour and cook on low for 1 minute to get rid of the flour taste. Add 2 cups liquid and whisk together until combined. Bring to a low boil then reduce heat. Simmer liquid until it thickens.
If you want to add potatoes to the slow cooker. Cut them into large chunks and add them about halfway into the cooking time to ensure they don't turn to mush.