Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy is the perfect weeknight meal. Juicy tender shredded chicken slathered in creamy gravy is pure comfort food. A delicious dinner the whole family will love!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
The beauty of this slow cooker chicken and gravy recipe is that it’s literally the easiest recipe to make with hardly any prep work. Get out your crockpot and let’s get started!
Why this Recipe Works
I’m a huge fan of an easy slow cooker meal during this time of the year. I love a good easy slow cooker recipe that uses simple ingredients like this crockpot chicken and gravy. If you've never made a whole chicken in the slow cooker you'll have to try my Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken!
This crockpot chicken recipe is an easy recipe that's kid-friendly. You can serve it over rice or egg noodles with a side of green beans or corn. Everyone will enjoy this easy chicken recipe! You should also check out my Slow Cooker Lemon Honey Chicken and Vegetables or my Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwich.
- Chicken- Use chicken tenders or boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Cream of chicken soup-any brand is fine
- Chicken gravy mix: Low sodium is recommended.
- Chicken broth- You can use water as well
- Granulated garlic -or garlic powder
- Kitchen Bouquet- Soup flavoring like soy sauce is optional
How to make this Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
- Step 1: Place your chicken into the slow cooker.
- Step 2: Whisk your cream of chicken soup, gravy packets, water, granulated garlic, and optional Kitchen Bouquet together in a small bowl.
- Step 3: Place your chicken in the crockpot, and then pour the gravy mixture over the top of it.
- Step 4: Cook until tender.
- Use low sodium. If you are keeping an eye on your salt intake, you can use low sodium cream of chicken, low sodium gravy mix, and low sodium broth in this recipe.
- Make it hearty. If you don’t want to worry about making side dishes, you can make this recipe a one-pot hearty meal by adding frozen peas and carrots in the last 30 minutes.
- Add Kitchen Bouquet. Although it’s optional, I would suggest using the Kitchen Bouquet. It gives your gravy a darker color, adds another layer of flavor, and helps to thicken the gravy.
- Any boneless, skinless chicken will do. You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chicken breasts, or chicken tenders. This makes it easier to shred if serving with rice or pasta.
You will know the chicken is done because it should be fork tender and juicy. It will shred easily. However, you can always double-check it with a digital thermometer. Use a food thermometer and insert it into the thickest part of the chicken. Chicken is done when it reads 165℉.
If you've never heard of Kitchen Bouquet, it’s a browning and seasoning sauce. It has caramel with vegetable flavoring and has been used since 1873 in various gravies and foods. Currently, it is produced by Hidden Valley. It’s an easy way to add extra flavor and color to your meals.
No, you do not need extra water. The broth mixed with the gravy and other seasonings is enough to cook the chicken in the crockpot. If you add additional water, you will water down the gravy.
This slow cooker shredded chicken and gravy recipe is also super easy to store and reheat. All you have to do is place it in a Tupperware bowl with a lid and put it in the refrigerator. Reheat it in the microwave for leftovers. It will be good for 3-5 days in the fridge.
Absolutely! In fact, chicken and gravy make the perfect freezer meal. Allow it to cool, then place it in a Ziploc freezer bag, and store it in the freezer. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating it on the stove top, for a busy weeknight meal.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
- 2 pounds chicken tenders or 3 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup, low sodium
- 2 envelopes chicken gravy mix, low sodium
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet optional
- Place chicken in a slow cooker.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cream of chicken soup, gravy packets, chicken broth, and granulated garlic and (optional) and mix until combined
- Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
- Shed chicken into chunks and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with white rice or mashed potatoes.
hearty meal. Add ¼ teaspoon of Kitchen Bouquet if you want a darker gravy. Oven directions: Place everything in a 9x13 casserole dish and bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.