Slow cooker sausage and cheesy potatoes are delicious comfort food the whole family will devour! A simple one-pot meal that's cheesy with tender potatoes and smoked sausages cooked to perfection!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
Love a good crockpot meal and this is an easy dinner that uses simple ingredients the entire family will love. Easy slow cooker recipes like my Lemon Chicken Thighs and Vegetables or Slow cooker Pot Roast. Served with a side of my Artisan Bread will be a new family favorite and the perfect way to get dinner on the table during a busy week.
Why this recipe works
This easy crock pot recipe can be served all on its own as a complete meal, or breakfast with a side of eggs. Perfect fall comfort food all made in the crockpot, goes well with any protein for dinner, like my Crispy Chicken Thighs and my Grilled Soy Sauce Chicken.
- Potatoes: I used Russet potatoes but red potatoes or gold potatoes, even baby potatoes will also work, or even from cubed frozen hash browns, but the cooking time will need to be adjusted.
- Chicken bouillon: Regular cubes, paste, or granulated bouillon all work.
- Sausage: I use smoked sausage.
- Cheese: I use a combination of pepper jack cheese and cheddar cheese.
how to make this recipe
- Step 1:Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and add the butter and garlic and saute just until fragrant, once melted whisk in the flour.
- Step 2:Whisk in the milk, bouillon cubes and thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Step 3:Add the potatoes, sausage, onions, and 1 cup of cheese to the slow cooker.
- Step 4: Pour in the sauce and mix until combined.
- Step 5: Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top of the potatoes during the last 30 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve!
- Step 6: Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve!
- Use a slow cooker liner for easy cleanup.
- Make sure you dice the potatoes small and as close to the same size for even cooking.
- Toss in some fresh green beans to add a veggie to the dinner.
- For a short cut add a can of cream of chicken soup plus 1 cup of milk instead of the homemade sauce.
Yes, you can use any type of sausage, spicy sausage, kielbasa sausage even chicken or turkey sausage. Another option would be leftover ham from my Glazed Ham.
I have a larger 7 qt crock pot but you can use a 6 qt slow cooker with no problem.
A great way to store the leftovers from this easy crockpot recipe in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
Yes get everything prepped and ready the night before If using but I recommend using frozen diced hash browns so you dont have to worry about them turning brown from air exposure.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups milk
- 2 bouillon cubes, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3-4 large Russet potatoes, diced ¼ inch small (7-8 cups)
- 14 ounces smoked sausage link cut into slices
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups cheese, divided (I used cheddar and pepper jack)
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
1. Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and add in the butter and garlic. Once the butter is melted add in the sprinkled flour and whisk until combined.
2. Whisk in the milk, chicken bouillon cubes, thyme, salt, and pepper, and bring to a simmer.
3. Place the diced potatoes, sausage, onions, and ½ of the cheese in the slow cooker. Add in the sauce and mix until combined.
4. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours or until potatoes are tender.
5. During the last 30 minutes of cooking sprinkle in the reserved shredded cheese and let melt.
6. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.
7. You can substitute 2 cans of condensed cream chicken soup
You can use frozen diced hash browns but the cooking time will change a bit to 4-5 hours on low.
Chicken bouillon base or granulated bouillon can also be used.
You can substitute 1 can of cream of chicken soup mixed with 1 cup of milk.
You can use whatever cheese you prefer.
Amount Per Serving Calories 675Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 103mgSodium 1438mgCarbohydrates 53gFiber 5gSugar 8gProtein 26g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.