Spicy fried chicken is crispy, and seasoned to perfection!
These Drumsticks are tender and juicy on the inside, yet crispy on the outside! Everything fried chicken should be. Perfect for dinner or cold the next day for lunch.
Fried chicken just screams Summer to me, it makes me think of picnics and potlucks outside. This recipe is pretty straightforward and easy for anyone to make.
Brinning the chicken makes it so tender and flavorful, trust me! Letting the drumsticks rest for 10 minutes helps the flour stick and doesn’t fall off in the cooking oil. Because lets face it there is nothing worse than when the crispy batter falls off the chicken.
Recipes to go with Spicy fried chicken:
- Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad
- Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- Creamy Lime Chipotle Coleslaw
- Greek Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Marinated Four Bean Salad
- Chipotle Bacon Deviled Eggs
- Southern Potato Salad
Items I use to make this recipe:
Spicy Fried Chicken Drumsticks
- 3-4 lbs chicken legs
- 8-10 cups water
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Shortening or lard for frying
In a large mixing bowl whisk together water, salt, and sugar until dissolved. Completely submerge chicken pieces in brine and soak for 4 hours in refrigerator. Line a sheet tray with a wire rack.
In a large bowl whisk eggs and cayenne powder. In another bowl add flour, cornstarch, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano and salt mix until combined. Drain brine and dip each chicken leg into the egg mixture and roll in the flour mixture, shake off excess flour and set on the sheet tray. Let chicken set 10 minutes to let the coating set.
- In a cast iron skillet heat 1 cup shortening/lard until it reaches 325 degrees on your candy thermometer. In batches add chicken usually 4-5 pieces at a time. Fry chicken 9-10 minutes then flip and cook another 9-10 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees. Remove from oil and place on paper towel lined sheet tray.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container.