This Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe is the last one you'll ever need. The perfect way to feed a crowd.
This Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich is super easy and full of flavor, the perfect blend of spices. The creamy chipotle slaw puts this sandwich over the top like my slow cooker bbq chicken sandwich!
Dijon mustard or any kind of mustard gives it that delicious tang and helps the spices adhere to the roast while it's cooking.
What cut of pork for pulled pork?
You want a cut that has some fat in it. You can do bone-in or boneless, whatever you can find. Any of these will work great.
- Pork Butt
- Picnic Roast
- Shoulder Roast
- Shoulder Butt Roast
- Boston Butt
How long does it take to make slow cooker pulled pork?
- Cook on high 5-6 hours
- Cook on low 8-10 hours
Chipotle Slaw is creamy and the perfect way to top the pulled pork sandwiches off.
Broiling the pulled pork, in the end, isn't necessary, but gives it those little charred bits of heaven.
Can I freeze pulled pork?
Yes, it freezes beautifully. Place leftover pulled pork in a ziplock freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and heat in the microwave or oven until warmed through. I use this recipe for my Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese or to pile on my Pulled Pork Baked Potato!
What sides go with pulled pork?
- Southern Potato Salad
- Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
- Crispy Parmesan Potato Wedges
- Deviled Macaroni Salad
- Crispy Onion Rings
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Beans
MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, AND PINTEREST FOR ALL MY LATEST RECIPES!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich with Chipotle Slaw
Slow cooker pulled pork in coated in a homemade rub and cooked low and slow until tender.
- 5 pound pork butt
- 1 medium white or yellow onion cut into slices
- 1 jar barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 8 hamburger buns
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 chipotle chiles from 1 can of chipotles in adobo diced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 small head green cabbage finely shredded
- 5-6 green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt, pepper
- In a bowl mix all the dry rub spices and set aside
- Rinse pork and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub the Dijon mustard all over the pork. Then rub the spice mixture over the pork until well coated. Place into a baking pan fat side up. Cover and let stand in the refrigerator overnight.
- Place the sliced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the pork roast on top and add a 1/2 cup water and cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Shred the pork using two forks in the juice. With tongs remove from slow cooker and place into a pan.
- Leave the extra juice in the slow cooker to moisten the pork later if needed. Toss with a little barbecue sauce. Place under broiler for 3-5 minutes to get some of that crispy bark goodness.
- Serve on toasted buns
For the Chipotle slaw
- In a large bowl add the shredded cabbage, green onions, and cilantro
- In a separate bowl whisk the mayo, chipotle chiles and lime juice and pour over the cabbage. Toss to combine
- Serves 8-10
*Any type of mustard will work
*Pork shoulder will also work
*You can use 1 teaspoon chipotle powder instead of chipotles in adobo sauce.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 1153Total Fat 72gSaturated Fat 23gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 43gCholesterol 253mgSodium 1687mgCarbohydrates 52gFiber 4gSugar 24gProtein 73g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Yes, you can put all the ingredients in a pot with a lid, place it in the center of the oven, and set your oven to about 200-250. It may cook a bit faster than your slow cooker. Hope this helps 🙂
This looks great! I am going to try to double the recipe for a large family gathering but I can't fit two roasts in the crock pot. Have you experimented using an oven as well? Didn't know if I could cook one in my crock pot and one in the oven. Thank you!
I always buy a 20-ounce jar and Kinders is my favorite.
I was wondering what size jar of barbecue sauce? Do you have a favorite?
Thank you so much
I would check it after about 8 hours to see if it easily pulls apart with a fork.
Sounds wonderful, if I have a pork butt half the size as the recipe calls for, would I still cook it the same time, or less
Yay Lacie! You totally made my week. So happy you and the hubby loved it 🙂
I made this last week and it was delicious! I used Hawaiian buns. It made so much! We had enough leftovers to make the BBQ baked potatoes you suggested the next night. Then made pulled pork enchiladas the night after! 3 dinners out of 1 crock pot meal. Couldn't have made my week any easier! My husband really really loved it too! Thank you!
I wouldn't recommend pork tenderloin for pulled pork. Its a lean cut and you need more fat in the meat like shoulder or butt for pulled pork.
Can I use a boneless pork tenderloin? If so how much should it weigh? I