Beef enchiladas is a classic recipe, loaded with a delicious ground beef filling smothered in a red sauce and topped with melty cheesy goodness. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Ground beef is a budget-friendly protein and really hard to mess up. Make a pan of these cheesy enchiladas for a quick weeknight dinner idea AND freeze some ahead for a perfect make-ahead freezer meal. It’s easy, cheesy, and delicious like my Taco Bake Recipe that my family devours!
Let's take a quick look at the ingredient list
- white onion
- red bell pepper
- ground beef
- green chilis
- black beans
- chili powder
- salt and pepper
- corn tortillas
- enchilada sauce
- shredded cheese
- Brown ground beef, onions, and peppers in a hot skillet.
- Add in black beans, chilis, and taco seasoning.
- Place about a 1/4 cup beef mixture into a warm tortilla, with a pinch of cheese, roll up and place in a baking dish.
- Add enchilada sauce and shredded cheese on top and bake.
Can I freeze these beef enchiladas?
Yes, you can definitely make these enchiladas ( I use a disposable tin) and freeze them before baking. Do not add enchilada sauce and cheese until right before ready to bake.
Instructions for cooking this freeze ahead meal
To cook from frozen, remove enchiladas from the freezer. Cover the enchiladas with a can of enchilada sauce and grated cheese.
If you remember to thaw them overnight in the fridge, that is wonderful. To bake when they are fully thawed, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes until hot and bubbly.
What should I serve with these beef enchiladas?
Easy Beef Enchiladas
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1- 4 ounce can diced green chilis
- 1- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed with cold water
- 12- 6 inch tortillas corn, flour, or 50/50 all work great
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 3 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat and add ground beef, onions nd red peppers. Cook until browned about 8 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook another minute. Drain the grease.
- Add in the taco seasoning and water and simmer 2 minutes.
- Mix in the green chilis and black beans until combined.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Pour 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place half of the corn tortillas in a wet paper towel and place in the microwave for 45 seconds. Careful they will be warm!
- .Place ¼ cup ground beef filling mixture down the center of a 6 inch tortilla, and 1 tablespoon of cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in the baking dish.
- Then heat the other half of the tortillas in the microwave, and repeat.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with the rest of grated cheese.
- Bake until hot and bubbly throughout - about 18-20 minutes.
- Serve with fresh chopped tomatoes, cilantro and sour creamm.