Mexican pasta salad is made with pasta, bell pepper, corn, ham, cheese, pickled jalapenos, cilantro, and a cream sauce. Serve it at your next get-together or as a side dish for any meal. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This recipe is delicious any time of year makes a delicious salad to use up that leftover Easter ham or take it to a summer potluck.
What is Mexican cream or Crema?
Mexican Crema is creamy slightly tangy very similar to sour cream. Although it’s thicker than sour cream but not as thick as Crème Fraiche.
How to keep your salad from drying out the next day?
The creamy mayo mixture absorbs into the macaroni and although it still tastes delicious you can freshen it up by adding in a couple of tablespoons of mayo and Mexican Crema.
What type of ham should I use?
This is a great way to use up any leftover ham you may have from a holiday meal. Or you can always grab a ham steak from your grocery store or even get some deli ham and cut it into pieces.
- I used elbow macaroni for this salad, but you can use whatever pasta you like or have on hand.
- You can use green bell pepper instead of red.
- You can use sour cream instead of Mexican Crema.
- I used cheddar cheese but Monterey Jack or mozzarella also works great.
- Best Foods or Hellman’s are always my choice for mayonnaise.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
What should I serve with this?
As with most pasta salads, they go great with grilled meats, burgers, or even simple sandwiches. Here are a few of my favorites!
- Sweet N Spicy Grilled Chicken
- Tequila Lime Grilled Chicken Club
- Spicy Fried Chicken
- Skillet Burger with Caramelized Onions
- Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- ⅓ cup Mexican cream (Crema)
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ¾ cup corn
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup ham, cubed
- ¼ cup pickled jalapenos, diced
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, cubed (or mozzarella)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the Mexican cream and mayonnaise and mix until there are no lumps.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the mayonnaise over the pasta and toss to combine.
- Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve as a light meal, or as a side salad to your favorite meal.
Sour cream can be used instead of Mexican crema.
You can use frozen or canned corn (drained)
Amount Per Serving Calories 293Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 45mgSodium 461mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 11g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.