This Air Fryer Fish and Fries are the healthiest fried fish you can eat. Seasoned and battered and then cooked in the air fryer, they are quick, easy and so crispy!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This air fryer fish recipe is the healthiest fried fish you can eat. Seasoned and battered and then cooked in the air fryer, they are quick, easy, and so crispy! Skip the hot oil and grease popping from the skillet, and enjoy this healthy fish dinner. You can check out all of my Air Fryer Recipes or try this Air Fryer Ranch Chicken Breast or Air Fryer Chicken Tenders.
Why this recipe works
Fish and chips are made in minutes in the air fryer, crispy cod is coated in a seasoned panko bread crumb mixture and cooked to perfection served with a side of this Parmesan Cream Sauce. This is a quick and easy family-friendly weeknight meal like these Air Fryer Breaded Chicken Thighs. But if you prefer a classic fish dinner try my Tilapia with Lemon Butter Sauce.
Ingredients for this Air Fryer Fish Recipe
- Cod fillets: or any other firm white fish such as haddock, tilapia, halibut, or even catfish.
- Smoked paprika: Gives it a delicious smoky flavor but regular paprika can also be used.
- Cayenne Pepper: Optional but adds a nice little kick
- All-Purpose Flour: Or gluten-free flour for a healthier option
- Eggs-Allows the breadcrumb mixture to stick to it.
- Seasoned panko breadcrumbs: gives it a great crunch.
- Old bay: Or Slap Ya Momma spice mix
- Grated parmesan cheese: use grated, not shredded.
- French fries: Choose your favorite pre-seasoned fries or sweet potato fries. Or make homemade French fries
- Lemon wedges: Gives it that freshness at the end.
- Tartar sauce: or homemade tartar sauce.
How to make air fryer fish and fries
- Step 1: Prep the air fryer. First, spray your air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray. Then preheat your air fryer to 400℉
- Step 2: Combine dry ingredients. Combine the flour, and spices in a bowl.
- Step 3: Beat the egg. Next, in another bowl, whisk and beat your egg well.
- Step 4: Mix the bread crumbs. Then, in another dish mix together the Panko breading and Old Bay seasoning.
- Step 5: Coat the fish filets. After you’ve blended the ingredients, begin dipping the fish first in the flour mixture, then in the egg, and then in the Panko mixture. Coat all sides.
- Step 6: Place fish in the air fryer. Place the breaded cod in the air-fryer basket. Then, place the basket in the air fryer. Give it a quick spray with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 7: Air Fry it. Finally, fry your fish, then, flip the fish, spray with cooking spray and let them fry again.
- Step 8: Remove from the air fryer. Remove your fish from the air fryer and serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.
- Fish is the same size try and make your fish the same size for even cooking.
- Press panko firmly. You want to press the Panko firmly onto your fish so that it coats well.
- Preheat the air fryer if you don't preheat it can cook the fish unevenly.
- Don't overcrowd the basket You don't want the breaded fish to be touching.
- Make homemade tartar sauce. Here is a great recipe!
It's basically a mini convection oven that uses hot air to cook and is a total game changer. It matches the taste and crispy texture of your favorite fried foods like this Chicken Nuggets and Fries Recipe without the fat and extra calories from deep frying. I use the Corsi Air Fryer from Amazon.
Air-fried fish is delicious in an air fryer. This recipe will work with cod, tilapia, catfish, pollock, hake, haddock, and salmon. My Air Fryer Salmon is another easy weeknight dinner recipe to try!
In most cases, air fryer fish recipes are healthier than deep-frying it in oil. This is because air frying cuts the calories by 70% and has much less fat since you don’t need oil to cook the fish.
I don't recommend it for this recipe the bread crumbs will have a much harder time sticking to the fish if it's frozen. You can thaw fish pretty quickly by just placing it in a ziplock baggie and placing it in a cold water bath.
Leftover fries are never very good. If you have leftovers, just throw them out. However, you can store any leftover fish in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You will need to place it in the air fryer for 2-4 minutes to get crispy fish.
Air Fryer Fish And Fries
- 1 1/2 pounds cod cut into 4-6 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper-optional
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup seasoned Panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon old bay seasoning
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 32 ouce bag Frozen Fries
- Lemon Wedges
- Tarter Sauce
- Preheat the air fryer
- Add the frozen french fries and fry at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Remove the fries and set them aside.
- In a shallow dish combine the flour, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- In another shallow bowl add the egg and beat well.
- In a separate shallow dish add the panko and old bay seasoning, and parmesan cheese, and mix until combined.
- Dip the fish in the flour, then the egg, then the panko. Coat all the sides.
- Spray your air fryer basket with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the coated fish in the pre-sprayed air fryer basket. Place the basket in the air fryer. Spray the top with nonstick cooking spray.
- Fry at 400° for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, gently flip, spray with nonstick cooking spray and fry for another 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the air fryer and set it aside.
- Add the fries back into the fryer and fry another 5 minutes to crisp them up
- Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.