Tilapia is a quick and easy meal the whole family will love. The lemon butter sauce drizzled over the top of the flaky fish is absolutely amazing!
We are huge tilapia lovers in our house, it's always my go-to fish. Not only is it budget-friendly, but it's easy to cook and doesn't have a strong fishy flavor. This recipe is pan-seared so it comes together super fast and perfect for those busy weeknights.
What is tilapia?
Tilapia is a flaky white fish with a mild flavor. It is pretty budget-friendly and easy to prepare. It's an excellent source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. When cooked properly tilapia is mild tasting, flaky, and light its delicious in my Tilapia Fish Tacos Recipe!
Can I use another white fish?
This method works well with cod, halibut, and even sole.
Tips for making tilapia with lemon butter sauce!
- Always use thawed tilapia. If it's frozen thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Dry the tilapia with a paper towel to get a good sear on the fish.
- Handle it carefully, it's a delicate fish that will break easily.
- Only flip once if you keep flipping the tilapia it will break apart.
- Do not overcook the filets or else they will become chewy.
The lemon butter sauce is so delicious, if you want to leave out the wine just add in some chicken broth or water.
This tilapia recipe is ready in under 30 minutes and is the perfect addition to your weekly meal rotation.
What to serve with tilapia?
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- Lemon Orzo with Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Pan-seared Tilapia with Lemon Butter Sauce
- 4 3-4 ounce tilapia filets
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
Lemon butter Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper and set aside
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat, add tilapia filets, and cook for about 4-5 minutes, carefully turn and cook another 4-5 minutes. Or until opaque through and flaky with a fork. Carefully remove the fish from a plate and set it aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the 4 tablespoons of butter and garlic to the skillet.
- Once the butter is melted add in the white wine and let simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the heavy cream, thyme, and lemon juice, and let simmer for 2-3 minutes just until it starts to thicken a bit.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve tilapia with lemon butter sauce over white rice or pasta!