Artisan bread is so easy to make with no kneading required. Fluffy crusty bread with little effort!
Nothing better than freshly baked bread. Crusty on the outside soft and tender on the inside. Delicious with soups and stews or just warm with butter.
No dutch oven?
Adjust your oven rack to the middle position and one to the lowest position. Fill a metal pan (don't use glass) with about 1 inch of water and place it on the lowest rack. Place bread dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place it in the middle rack. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
Tips for making artisan bread
- The dough will be wet, and that's okay.
- Any size dutch oven will work, I use a 5qt dutch oven.
- Use a scraper or metal spatula to roll the dough in the extra flour before baking.
- Don't forget to put the lid on the dutch oven this lets the bread steam.
- Place the dough in a warm place to rise, but not too hot.
Can I freeze Artisan bread?
The dough can be frozen let rise then wrap in plastic wrap and place in a ziplock freezer bag for up to 1 month. Defrost the dough in the refrigerator overnight and let come to room temp before baking.
You can freeze baked bread for up to 3 months. Wrap it in aluminum foil or parchment paper and put it in a large ziplock freezer bag.
What can I serve artisan bread with?
- Loaded Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Bean and Bacon Soup
- Pasta E Fagioli Soup
- Hearty Beef Stew
- Shepherd's Pie
- Clam Chowder
Artisan Bread NO KNEAD
- 2 teaspoons instant or rapid rise yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm tap water
- 3 cups all purpose or bread flour plus a little extra for shaping
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a large bowl add the yeast and warm water give it a stir. Add in flour and salt and using a fork mix until all the flour is incorporated. The dough will be wet.
- Cover with plastic wrap and put somewhere warm for 2-3 hours to rise or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with a dutch oven.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons flour to your work surface. Place dough on the flour and roll it around using a scraper or metal spatula to get the stickiness away. Shape it into a ball with your hands. Place in a hot dutch oven lined with parchment paper.
- Place the lid on and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake another 12 minutes.
- Cool on a baking rack for 15 minutes and slice.