This hearty beef stew is comfort food at its best! Loaded with tender beef, potatoes, and veggies that make this a hearty one-pot meal that will definitely warm your soul! We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This hearty beef stew is a favorite in our house like my One Pot Chicken Stew, served with some crusty bread. The ultimate bowl of goodness, and like my Steak Chili Recipe even better the next day. Serve with a side of Buttermilk Biscuits, or Honey Cornbread.
What goes in beef stew?
Scroll down to the bottom for the full printable recipe!
How to make hearty beef stew
1. Cut the carrots and onions into chunks.
2. In a medium bowl toss the stew beef with the flour and set aside.
3. Heat a Dutch oven (I use a 7qt) or heavy bottom pot to medium-high heat, and brown the meat.
4. Add in the rest of the oil and add the carrots and onions and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and tomato paste and cook another 1-2 minutes.
6. Add in beef broth, wine, the rest of the ingredients, and simmer.
What are the best potatoes to use?
I use Yukon gold because they hold their shape best while cooking.
Do I have to sear the meat?
Searing the meat adds a nice color to the beef and sears in the flavor. The bits of the meat from searing are in the bottom of the pot and loosen up when the rest of the ingredients get added.
What can I substitute for red wine?
An equal amount of beef broth for the red wine will work.
How to store Hearty Beef Stew
Allow beef to cool and store in airtight containers for up to 4 days.
Looking for more comfort food recipes?
MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST FOR ALL MY LATEST RECIPES.
Hearty Beef Stew
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 4 carrots chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 4-5 yukon potatoes
- 2 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 -1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- In a medium bowl toss beef stew meat with the flour and set aside.
- Heat a dutch oven or heavy bottom pot on medium-high heat. Add half of the vegetable oil and add half the meat, half of the salt, and pepper. Brown for 3-4 minutes turning the meat halfway through. Remove meat and repeat with the rest of the meat.
- Add the rest of the oil and add carrots and onions, cook for 3-4 minutes then add garlic and tomato paste.
- Add back in the browned beef and pour in the beef stock, wine, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and rosemary. Stir and heat on high until it comes to a low boil reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add in potatoes, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender for about 45 minutes.
- Add in frozen peas, let heat through 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve!