Caramel Pretzel Bark is the perfect combination of salty and sweet and only requires 4 ingredients! Crunchy, chewy and the perfect sweet treat for holiday parties and gift-giving.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you! Read our disclosure policy here.
Bark treats are super simple and come together very quickly with just a few ingredients. This salted caramel pretzel bark recipe is just as easy as my Chocolate Peppermint Bark.
Why this recipe works
You only need 4 ingredients to make this crunchy, salty treat. This chocolate caramel pretzel bark dessert recipe is simple enough that the kids can help make it. It's easy to customize and is perfect for special occasions, holidays, or any day of the week. If you love this sweet and salty treat you have to try my Kitchen Sink Cookies.
- Chocolate chips: I used semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can use milk chocolate or even rich dark chocolate
- Soft caramels: you use caramel bits and they can be melted on low in a saucepan.
- Water: I used the Kraft caramels which need water to melt
- Mini pretzels: could be swapped out for regular pretzels that have been broken down, pretzel snaps, or pretzel sticks.
How to make caramel pretzel bark
- Step 1: Add chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and melt chocolate in the microwave. Stir in between melting bursts and continue until all of the chocolate chips have melted and are smooth.
- Step 2: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the necessary reserved chocolate to use later. Pour the remainder of the melted chocolate chips on the pan and use a rubber spatula to spread out evenly.
- Step 3: Place crunchy pretzels on top of the chocolate layer and press them in.
- Step 4: Add caramels and water to another microwave-safe bowl. Heat, stir and continue to alternate until melted. Drizzle buttery caramel on top of the pretzels followed by the reserved chocolate and refrigerate until hard.
- When adding the pretzels, it's okay if they aren't in a single even layer.
- You could sprinkle sea salt on top of the treat before placing it in the fridge to enhance the flavors even more.
- Feel free to use the double boiler method to melt the caramel or chocolate instead of the microwave.
- To make cutting the tasty treat easier, use a sharp knife.
- You can serve these at room temperature or just out of the fridge. If you notice your room is warmer, you may need to keep them in the fridge so they don't melt.
- Instead of melting the caramels in water for the caramel mixture, if you have an easy, good recipe, you can use your favorite homemade caramel sauce to use as the melted caramel drizzle on top of the crispy pretzels and smooth milk chocolate layers.
Store your leftover bark in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. You can freeze your bark in a freezer-safe container for up to 2-3 months. Thaw before serving. It's also important to know that the once crisp pretzel pieces may change the texture slightly when thawing, but they'll still be delicious salty pretzels in your treat.
Nope. If you would like to use chocolate melts instead, you can. Just use the instructions on the package to melt them appropriately.
You can scale this recipe to make more servings, very easily. Just make sure you have a few microwave-safe bowls that are big enough to melt enough caramel and chocolate chips. You may also need another baking sheet to fit more bark on.
This bark is the perfect thing to make extra of and to give as great gifts to family and friends during the holiday season! It's good for anybody who has a sweet tooth and loves chocolate, caramel, and pretzels.
Caramel Pretzel Bark
- 1- 12 ounce bag semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus ¼ cup chocolate chips, divided
- 1- 11 ounce bag soft caramels
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups pretzels
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place chocolate chips in medium sized microwave-safe bowl. Melt in microwave for 1 minute. Stir, then continue to melt 30 seconds, stir again and continue in 15 second intervals until completely melted and smooth.
- Pour chocolate (reserving ¼ cup) onto prepared baking sheet and spread evenly. The remainder of the chocolate will be drizzled on top (optional).
- Add pretzels to chocolate layer, pressing them in. It’s okay if they are not in a single layer.
- Place caramels and water into microwave safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute, stir, then continue to heat and stir in 30 second intervals until smooth.
- Drizzle caramel over pretzels. Drizzle remaining chocolate on top. (You may have to reheat for 10-15 seconds if sitting for awhile) Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until hardened. Cut into pieces.