Teriyaki chicken is bathed in a sticky flavorful teriyaki sauce and grilled to perfection!This Grilled Teriyaki Chicken is super popular in my house and on a weekly rotation. This sauce is sticky, sweet and tangy, the chicken in tender and juicy and perfect for grilling.
Teriyaki chicken is a classic take out recipe everybody loves. Making it at home is super easy and will quickly become your new favorite!
How to make Teriyaki Chicken
- In a small bowl add soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, water, garlic and ginger. Pour half of the mixture over the chicken and let marinade for at least 4 hours. For best flavor let marinade overnight.
- Pour the remaining marinade into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3-4 minutes until thickened.
- Heat a grill on medium high heat. Cook 6-7 minutes flip and cook another 6-7 minutes.
- Removes to a platter and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with sesame seeds and green onions.
Homemade teriyaki sauce only takes a few ingredients from your pantry and is ah-mazingly better than any jar sauce from the grocery store. If you let the chicken marinade over night it absorbs more flavor. I prefer to use chicken thighs but you could use breasts if you want.
Looking for more chicken recipes?
- Crispy Chicken Cutlets
- Brined Herb Chicken Breasts
- Crispy Skillet Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken
- Oven Baked Spicy Teriyaki Wings
- Easy Sheet Pan Lemon Herb Chicken and Parmesan Asparagus
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4-5 large cloves garlic finely minced
- 3 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 green onions
- sesame seeds optional
- In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, water, garlic and ginger. Pour half of the mixture over chicken and let marinade for at least 2 hours preferable over night.
- Meanwhile place the remaining marinade in a small pot and place over medium heat. Add the cornstarch and mix until dissolved. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a grill or cast iron pan over high heat and cook 6-7 minutes on each side to get a nice sear. Brush the teriyaki sauce on. Cook for another 3-4 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- Let chicken rest 10 minutes. Serve with rice and top with green onions and sesame seeds
Serving Size8 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 321Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 137mgSodium 1958mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 1gSugar 22gProtein 31g