Teriyaki chicken is bathed in a sticky flavorful teriyaki sauce and grilled to perfection!This Grilled Teriyaki Chicken is super popular in my house and on a weekly rotation. This sauce is sticky, sweet and tangy, the chicken in tender and juicy and perfect for grilling.
Teriyaki chicken is a classic take out recipe everybody loves. Making it at home is super easy and will quickly become your new favorite!
How to make Teriyaki Chicken
- In a small bowl add soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, water, garlic and ginger. Pour half of the mixture over the chicken and let marinade for at least 4 hours. For best flavor let marinade overnight.
- Pour the remaining marinade into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3-4 minutes until thickened.
- Heat a grill on medium high heat. Cook 6-7 minutes flip and cook another 6-7 minutes.
- Removes to a platter and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with sesame seeds and green onions.
Homemade teriyaki sauce only takes a few ingredients from your pantry and is ah-mazingly better than any jar sauce from the grocery store. If you let the chicken marinade over night it absorbs more flavor. I prefer to use chicken thighs but you could use breasts if you want.
Looking for more chicken recipes?
- Crispy Chicken Cutlets
- Brined Herb Chicken Breasts
- Crispy Skillet Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken
- Oven Baked Spicy Teriyaki Wings
- Easy Sheet Pan Lemon Herb Chicken and Parmesan Asparagus
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4-5 large cloves garlic finely minced
- 3 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 green onions
- sesame seeds optional
- In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, water, garlic and ginger. Pour half of the mixture over chicken and let marinade for at least 2 hours preferable over night.
- Meanwhile place the remaining marinade in a small pot and place over medium heat. Add the cornstarch and mix until dissolved. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a grill or cast iron pan over high heat and cook 6-7 minutes on each side to get a nice sear. Brush the teriyaki sauce on. Cook for another 3-4 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
Let chicken rest 10 minutes. Serve with rice and top with green onions and sesame seeds