Garlic Parmesan Sauce is a savory homemade recipe that rivals the classic sauce from Buffalo Wild Wings. This copycat sauce is perfect to pair with chicken wings or chicken tenders, rice, pasta, fries, and more!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you! Read our disclosure policy here.
The mixture of garlic and Parmesan cheese is one of my favorite savory combinations. With a slight bite from the garlic and salty, cheesy flavor from the Parmesan, the two ingredients highlight each other perfectly!
Why this Recipe Works
It's great tossed with these chicken wings, and dip fries, or toss with some pasta. It requires simple ingredients, most of which you probably have at home already! Copycat recipes to make from home are cheaper than going out and you get to control what goes in it like my In N Out Burger, Copycat Starbucks Espresso Brownies, Olive Garden Herb Grilled Salmon.
Making homemade sauces with simple steps is a great way to spice up your cooking and add a fun flair, like with this Beer Cheese Sauce that pairs perfectly with pretzel bites, or a hearty Chicken with Lemon Cream Sauce.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter so you can control the saltiness of your garlic parm sauce.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves are your best bet here for the most authentic flavor.
- Flour: Helps create a thicker sauce.
- Chicken Stock: Acts as the liquid base.
- Heavy Cream: Gives your garlic sauce a rich and creamy texture.
- Sugar: Contrasts all of the salty, savory flavors.
- Lemon Juice: Prevents the sauce from becoming too heavy by adding an acidic, citrus zing.
- Italian Seasoning: An easy way to easily infuse your sauce with familiar herbal flavors.
- Parmesan Cheese: Provides the perfect amount of salty and cheesy flavor.
- Seasonings: Salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes add a bit of extra flavor and a little kick of heat.
How to Make this Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- Step 1: Melt the butter in a large saucepan, then add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Step 2: Add the flour and whisk until well incorporated.
- Step 3: Slowly pour in the chicken stock and heavy cream and stir to combine.
- Step 4: Add Parmesan, sugar, Italian Seasoning, lemon juice, and red pepper and incorporate well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use the freshest and best quality ingredients you can find for best results in this flavorful sauce.
- Be sure not to let the garlic burn--it will cook fairly quickly, so keep an eye on it.
- For a super genuine cheesy flavor, use freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Because this recipe comes together so quickly, I recommend having all the ingredients ready to go before you start cooking anything.
- Don't be afraid to give the sauce a little taste throughout every step of the process and adjust seasonings and flavors as needed.
- If you're worried that your sauce is too thin, just be aware that it will thicken as it cools.
- On the other hand, if the sauce is too thick, you may need to add a bit more liquid. A great option when serving with pasta in particular is to combine with a splash of reserved pasta water to thin it out.
- This sauce will last up to a week when stored in the fridge in an airtight container. The flavors may even develop and improve if you give it some time to sit in the refrigerator. Garlic sauce doesn't do as well in the freezer--freezing and thawing this sauce will alter the texture and flavor because of the combination of dairy and lemon juice.
- Reheat the sauce by microwaving in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, or pour into a saucepan and heat over medium until it reaches the desired temperature.
No, this recipe is not gluten-free. Replace the flour with a gluten-free alternative like almond flour to make it gluten-free, and make sure all of your other components are free of gluten as well. None of the others naturally contain gluten, but in rare cases can have gluten-cased preservatives.
This recipe comes from Buffalo Wild Wings, so a great option is to bake some Parmesan garlic wings and use this sauce as a glaze or a dip. You can also use it as a pasta sauce, as a base for a homemade pizza, to add flavor to roasted veggies, or as an appetizer dip with bread, crackers, and more.
Buffalo Wild Wings Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock low sodium
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 teaspoons granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and melt the butter, add in the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken stock and cream until smooth. Simmer for 1-2 minutes just until thickened.
- Whisk in the sugar, Italian seasoning, lemon juice, red pepper, and parmesan cheese until combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over pasta, rice or chicken