Frankenstein rice krispies treats are so simple to make and absolutely adorable. Little spooky monsters are chewy marshmallow goodness with melted chocolate and candy eyes and will be a huge hit at your Halloween party.
why this recipe works
This is an easy Halloween dessert to make during the spooky season and a fun, kid-friendly treat. Perfect for the whole family to make for class treats, Halloween parties, or just make with your kiddos. Do you love Halloween cookies? You might also like these Spider Cookies and Marshmallow Ghosts.
- Butter-If using salted butter, skip the added salt.
- Marshmallows-You can use either mini or large marshmallows to make the Rice Krispie treats, but you'll need the minis for Frankenstein's bolts.
- Rice Krispies-The store brand will also work fine.
- Green food coloring- I used about 1 teaspoon of gel food coloring to achieve this color.
- Chocolate candy melts-Melting wafers or bark works best. Good quality chocolate chips will also work, either milk or dark chocolate.
- Candy eyes-Your local grocery store should carry the candy eyes or you can grab them from Amazon here.
how to make this recipe
- Step 1-Lightly spray a 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Step 2-Melt the butter and marshmallows in a microwave-safe bowl, and stir until smooth and melted.
- Step 3-Add in the green food coloring and mix until combined.
- Step 4- Pour in the rice krispies cereal.
- Step 5-Spread the Rice Krispie treats into a pan and gently press.
- Step 6-Once they are firm cut them into 9 squares.
- Step 7-In a microwave-safe bowl melt the milk chocolate. Dip each square and 1/2 inch into the melted chocolate and place on parchment paper or wax paper to dry.
- Step 8-Once the chocolate is dry assemble the rest of Frankensteins' face.
- Spray your spoon and hands with a little cooking spray it's an easy way to prevent stickiness.
- You can use mini Rolo candies, Kit Kats, or mini peanut butter cups for the bolts instead of marshmallows for these sweet treats.
- You can double these easy treats and place them in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Add some festive sprinkles to the chocolate hair before it dries.
These are best enjoyed on the day they’re made or the following day. With proper storage, you may get a third or fourth day out of them, but they will firm up with time and exposure to air. To keep these easy Halloween treats as fresh as possible, keep them in an airtight container at room temperature.
Yes! Add the butter and marshmallows to a large pot over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Once the marshmallows have melted add the salt, vanilla extract, and green food coloring, and mix. Then, remove the pot from heat and add the cereal. Mix and coat the cereal and marshmallows inside the pot until all the cereal is coated. Then, transfer the mixture to the baking pan.
You want to make sure you place your chocolate into a dry bowl. Any extra liquid will cause your chocolate to become thick and grainy and won't work for dipping.
Frankenstein Rice Krispies Treats
- Lightly spray a 9 x 9 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut the half stick of butter into four equal squares (about 1 tablespoon each). Add the squares of butter and mini marshmallows to a microwave-safe mixing bowl. Microwave for one and a half minutes, and then stir until smooth.
- Once you have a smooth buttery marshmallow mixture, add the vanilla extract, salt, and green food coloring. Stir until the gooey mixture is a cohesive green color.
- Add the rice krispies cereal to the bowl and make sure to evenly coat the cereal with the marshmallow mixture.
- Use a rubber spatula to scoop the rice kripsies from the bowl to the baking pan. Gently press the rice krispies into the pan, making sure the top layer is even as possible. Let the rice krispies cool and firm up in the pan for 1-3 hours.
- Once they’ve cooled and firmed up, cut the rice krispies into squares. Place a piece of parchment or wax paper aside to set the rice kripsies on after dipping them in chocolate.
- Add the chopped chocolate almond bark to a small microwave-safe mixing bowl and melt for one minute. Stir with a spoon and microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir again until smooth.
- Dip the top ½ - ¾ inch of each rice krispie square into the melted chocolate to create Frankenstein’s hair. When pulling the rice Krispie out of the chocolate, let the chocolate drip off before placing it on the wax paper set aside. Let the chocolate-dipped rice Krispies harden on the wax paper.
- To assemble Frankenstein’s face: Dot the back of each eye with some black icing and use as glue. Place the eyes in the center of the face. Use the icing to draw the mouth and a line of stitches going diagonally across his forehead. Then, place a dot of icing on one of the flat sides of a mini marshmallow to glue onto the side of his head to create the bolt going through his neck. Repeat on the other side.