Southern Salisbury Steak recipe is a classic comfort food dish the whole family will love. Tender beef patties smothered in a rich and delicious onion mushroom gravy.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This hamburger steak recipe is a really simple no fuss great family dinner. I'll show you how to make Salisbury steak which is a fairly cheap meal to make like my Cube Steak Recipe and loved by even the pickiest eaters, like my Garlic Mushroom Chicken Thighs.
Why this recipe works
This is an easy dinner to throw together for those busy weeknights. Tender seasoned oval beef patties, smothered in a rich mushroom gravy using simple pantry ingredients. We serve it with fluffy mashed potatoes, some green beans, homemade biscuits, or a fat slice of cornbread.
- Ground Beef: I like to use 80/20 but you could also use lean ground beef.
- Bread Crumbs: Panko or regular works well.
- Flour: Helps to thicken the gravy, a little cornstarch can also be used but start with 1/2 the required amount.
- Mushrooms: I use white mushrooms but you can use cremini mushrooms, make sure you slice them fairly thick.
- Onion: A yellow or white large onion sliced 1/4 inch slices.
- Dry mustard: You can use yellow mustard if that is what you have.
- Beef bouillon: Cubed or granular is fine.
- Beef broth: Low sodium, chicken broth will work in a pinch.
- Worcestershire sauce: This is a must, don't leave it out add in more or less for your preference.
How to make homemade Salisbury steak
- Step 1: This hamburger steak recipe is a really simple no fuss great family meal. A fairly cheap meal to make and loved by even the pickiest eaters.
- Step 2: Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and butter and sear the hamburger patties a few minutes per side until golden brown.
- Step 3: Flip to sear the other side and remove to a platter.
- Step 4: Add in the remaining butter and add the sliced onions.
- Step 5: Cook until the opinions are caramelized.
- Step 6: Stir in the sliced mushrooms.
- Step 7: Sprinkle the flour in and cook.
- Step 8: Pour in the beef broth and stir together, add the hamburger steak patties back into the pan and simmer.
- I love to use a good cast iron skillet for this, it allows you to get the best sear on the meat patties.
- If you don't care for mushrooms leave them out and you'll have a delicious onion gravy.
- If the gravy gets too thick for you add in a little more beef stock or water.
- You don't want to overmix your meat mixture or the patties may be tough.
Both are delicious comfort food that is made up of ground beef, but this easy Salisbury steak recipe contains fillers like bread crumbs and eggs, along with other spices. Hamburger steak is usually just salt and pepper.
Yes, prep these easy Salisbury steak patties and place them on a plate covered with plastic wrap along with the sliced onions and mushrooms.
Yes, homemade Salisbury steak can be frozen, place patties with some gravy mixture in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in a saucepan on the stove until heated through
Homemade Salisbury Steak
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 beef bullion cube crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 6 ounces mushrooms sliced thick
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef stock, low sodium
- In a medium bowl add the ground beef, panko, egg, garlic, ketchup, beef bullion, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce and mix until combined. Form into four oval-shaped patties.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter place the patties into the hot skillet and sear for 2 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for 2 minutes. (The patties will still be raw) Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet and add in the sliced onions. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the onions for 20 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and cook another 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and give everything a toss.
- Pour in the beef stock and stir. Place the patties back into the pan and let simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the patties to a plate and season the gravy with salt and pepper to taste.