This Halloween pizza mummy stromboli recipe is loaded with pepperoni, salami, ham, and cheese, an easy and tasty spooky treat for your Halloween festivities.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
Looking for a fun way to celebrate the Halloween season? This is the cutest pizza mummy ever and will be a big hit at your next Halloween party. Or my Mummy Hot Dogs they are always a hit with the kiddos, the adults love my Bacon Jalapeno Mummies!
Why this recipe works
This mummy stromboli is a fun recipe and the perfect centerpiece for a Halloween party. Or just a fun way for an easy Halloween treat the whole family will love like my Purple Monster Cupcakes. It can be served as a perfect appetizer or served as dinner, like my French Bread Pizzas or my Cast Iron Pizza.
- Pizza dough-Pillsbury thin crust is what I use or you can use your favorite homemade pizza dough.
- Pepperoni- thin sliced is what I prefer.
- Salami- Thin Italian sliced is what I used, you can also use mini pepperoni slices.
- Smoked ham-Thin sliced from the deli.
- Cheese- Mozzarella and provolone slices or you can use just mozzarella.
- Pepperchinis- add a great tangy flavor to the stromboli.
- Red pepper flakes- are always optional but adds a little kick.
- Marinara sauce or pizza sauce
- Mummy’s eyes- I use these from Amazon or these candy eyes.
How to make this recipe
- Step 1-On a lightly floured surface lay out one pizza dough and press into a square approx 14x14.
- Step 2-Layer the slices of pepperoni on top of the pizza dough.
- Step 3-Layer the salami on top of the pepperoni slices.
- Step 4- Then place a thin layer of ham slices on top.
- Step 5- Sprinkle the pepperoncini's and add a layer of Provolone cheese.
- Step 6- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
- Step 7- Starting at one end roll the stromboli tightly into a log, and crimp all the seams and edges together.
- Step 8- Lay on a baking tray lined with parchment paper seam side down.
- Step 9-In a small bowl add the melted butter and seasonings and mix until combined. Add in some black food coloring and mix.
- Step 10- Brush the black butter over the top of the pizzas, and sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese.
- Step 11-Open the second roll of pizza dough and cut thick and thin slices using kitchen shears.
- Step 12-Lay the thin strips across the stromboli to look like mummy’s wrapping bandages.
- If the top is browning too fast use a piece of aluminum foil to tent it.
- Don't over-stuff the dough or else it will ooze out while baking.
- Make the mummy bandages all different widths.
- Cut the stromboli using a serrated knife.
Stromboli is basically a rolled-up pizza crust using simple ingredients filled with various types of meat and or veggies and cheese. Baked to golden perfection then sliced into individual rolls. A Calzone is a pizza folded in half with edges crimped.
Absolutely not, you can leave out the black food coloring and just make the stromboli plain.
The best way to store sliced stromboli is in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat sliced stromboli in the microwave in 30-second intervals until heated through. Or the Air fryer on 350 degrees for 2-3 minutes until heated through.
Yes, a great way is to prep the stromboli mummy as directed then wrap the large baking sheet with foil. Let the stromboli come to room temperature for 15-20 minutes then bake as directed.
More Party Appetizers
Halloween Mummy Stromboli
- 2 - 13.8 oz cans of refrigerated pizza dough
- ¼ lb pepperoni
- ¼ lb thin salami
- ½ lb deli ham
- 1 provolone cheese slices
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup sliced pepperoncini peppers
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons salted butter melted
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- black food coloring-optional
- 2 eyeballs candy, googly, or toy
- marinara or pizza sauce for dipping
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and or lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- 2. On a clean surface sprinkle a little all-purpose flour or spray cooking spray and lay out one of the pizza doughs and press into a square of approximately 14"x14".
- 3. Layer the pepperoni, salami, and ham on the pizza dough, making sure to fill in any holes.
- 4. Next add a layer of provolone cheese, then the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- 5. Add the pepperoncini and parmesan cheese (reserve 2 tablespoons for the top for later)
- 6. Starting on one end roll the stromboli tightly into a log. Crimp the seams and edges. Transfer the stromboli to the prepared baking sheet and place it seam side down.
- 7. In a small bowl mix the melted butter, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, red pepper flakes, and black food coloring. Brush the butter mixture over the top and sides of the rolled stromboli. Sprinkle the top with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- 8. Open the second roll of pizza dough and using scissors or a pizza cutter cut into 1" strips.
- 9. Lay the strips across the rolled stromboli crisscrossing as you go to make the appearance of a mummy, and tucking into the sides. Leave a little space at the top for the eyes.
- 10. Place on the center rack and bake the stromboli for 30-35 minutes, if the top begins to get too brown tent the stromboli with a piece of aluminum foil.
- 11. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes, add the eyes, slice, and serve with marinara sauce or ranch.