Lobster mac and cheese is loaded with creamy pasta and chunks of rich buttery lobster meat. Topped with a buttery crumb topping.
Mac and cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods. Combine it with rich chunks of lobster meat and you have a meal nobody can resist. It can be the star of the meal or a delicious holiday side dish.
Where do I buy lobster meat?
Most stores carry frozen lobster chunks in the seafood department. I usually grab mine at Costco. Or you can grab some lobster tails and make my Broiled lobster Tails and cut them into pieces.
Tips for making lobster mac and cheese
- Always salt the pasta water
- Cook pasta to al dente, the pasta will cook more in the oven while baking.
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to spice things up a bit.
- Use other short pasta like penne, rigatoni, or elbow macaroni if you choose.
- Don’t use pre-grated cheese, it never melts as smoothly as freshly grated.
Can I use different cheese?
I use white cheddar and Gruyere. Gruyere is commonly paired with seafood. Gouda, Havarti, or Monterey jack are also good choices.
Why is my cheese sauce gritty?
Using pre-grated cheese can cause your sauce to be grainy. Or adding cheese to a boiling sauce will cause the cheese to break down and cause a grainy texture.
What to serve with lobster mac and cheese?
Whether you serve this as the star of the meal or a delicious side dish. Lobster mac and cheese is a rich dish. So a nice simple protein like Pan Seared Garlic rib Eye Steak. Or my Roasted Broccoli or Roasted Asparagus.
Looking for more comfort food recipes?
- One-Pot Cheesy Goulash
- Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- French Onion Pork Chops
- Skillet Chicken and Biscuit Pot Pie
- Potatoes Au Gratin
- Slow Cooker Beef Burrito
Lobster Mac and Cheese
- 12 ounces dried pasta I use cavatappi pasta
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups half n half
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese grated
- 3 cups white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pound lobster meat
- For the topping
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsly chopped
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a large pot of water to boiling and cook pasta according to the package directions to al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat and add butter. Once melted add in the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add in the flour and whisk. Pour in the half n half, mustard and nutmeg, salt and pepper, and whisk until combined.
- Let come to a simmer just until thickened. Turn off the heat and add in the cheeses. Whisk until creamy and melted.
- Pour the cooked pasta into the baking dish and add the lobster meat.
- Pour the cheese sauce all over the pasta and mix until combined well.
For the topping
- In a small bowl mix together the panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and melted butter. Sprinkle topping over the pasta.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.
- Let rest 10 minutes, garnish with fresh chopped parsley.