Oven-Roasted Asparagus is a quick and easy side dish using simple ingredients come together in just 15 minutes. Tender asparagus tossed with olive oil, and roasted to perfection topped with some parmesan cheese.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
Roasting is my favorite way to cook vegetables like my Roasted Broccoli, and Roasted Cauliflower. This healthy side dish comes together super fast likely Shredded Brussels Sprouts perfect all on its own or served in salads and pasta dishes.
Why this recipe works
This delicious side dish comes together quickly with pretty much zero prep and goes with any main dish protein like my Slow Cooker Honey Ham or my Pan Seared Rib Eye Steak. There is just something that's amazing about roasted vegetables. Brings out their natural sweetness and gives them a beautiful caramelization.
- Asparagus: Look for bright green fresh asparagus
- Olive Oil : Avocado oil works great also
- Lemon: Fresh lemon juice is always best.
- Parmesan: Grated or shredded parmesan cheese.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic and not garlic powder.
- Red Pepper flakes: Optional but I highly recommend them.
How to make roasted asparagus
- Step 1: Trim the asparagus and place them in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet or baking dish.
- Step 2: Drizzle olive oil over the tops of the asparagus.
- Step 3: Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Step 4: Roast asparagus to desired tenderness, add a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
Thicker spears are great for broiling, roasting, and grilling. I prefer my asparagus with medium-sized stalks, but if all the grocery store has is thick spears you can peel off some of the outer skin using a vegetable peeler. The thinner spears are great for steaming and stir-frying.
Hold each piece of asparagus spear in your hand and slowly bend the spear until the woody ends snap off the stalk of asparagus. Throw away the ends of asparagus and continue until they are all trimmed.
I like to keep it simple salt, pepper, and a little olive oil then add the parmesan cheese at the end.
The cooking time really depends on the thickness of the asparagus, you'll know when it's done because a fork will pierce threw it easily. Pencil-thin asparagus spears will take about 8-10 minutes. Thicker spears can take about 15 minutes.
Oven Roasted Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Lemons for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Cut or snap off the ends of the asparagus (about 2 inches)
- Place the asparagus on the lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, garlic sprinkle salt, pepper and red pepper flakes over top.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle parmesan cheese over top and drizzle with lemon if desired.