Slow cooker beef burritos are loaded with tender, saucy beef, refried beans, and cheese!
These beef burritos are one of my favorite comfort foods. What's not to love about beef stuffed burritos smothered with sauce and cheese?
The enchilada sauce that used for this recipe starts off as store-bought. If you have a great homemade enchilada sauce, by all means, use it. My Chili Colorado Smothered Burritos has a homemade enchilada sauce.
What is a smothered burrito?
A smothered burrito also known as a wet burrito. It's a burrito that has been covered with enchilada sauce and cheese. Baked and topped with all your favorite toppings.
How to wrap a burrito!
Add your filling down the center. Fold in both sides, bring up the bottom up over the filling. Keeping everything tight finish rolling it out.
Tips for making slow cooker beef burritos
- This recipe makes 8 large burritos but you can easily adjust the recipe to make smaller ones.
- These burritos can be made ahead of time for an easy weeknight meal. Or even frozen.
- They can be baked all at once are heated up individually.
- Freeze the leftover chipotle peppers for another use.
What goes with slow cooker beef burritos?
Slow Cooker Beef Burrito
- 2 ½ lbs beef chuck roast cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 -19 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1-19 oz can refried beans
- 8-12 inch size flour tortillas
- 3-4 cups pepper jack cheese
- Heat a large pot or skillet and add oil. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown the meat cubes 1-2 minutes on each side. Place meat in the slow cooker with chopped onions.
- Add taco seasoning, chipotle pepper, beef bullion cubes,garlic and enchilada sauce.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Remove meat chunks and shred with two forks.
- Strain the onions from the sauce and add them to the shredded beef. Set the remaining sauce aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay a tortilla out on a flat surface. Add ¼ cup refried beans, ½ cup shredded beef, 2-3 tablespoon cheese. Fold the side of the tortilla in and roll. Repeat. Place the burrito seam side down in a 9x13 baking dish. Pour the strained sauce over the top and add the rest of the cheese.
- Baked for 25 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings