Slow cooker beef burritos are loaded with tender, saucy beef, refried beans, and cheese!
These beef burritos are one of my favorite comfort foods. What's not to love about beef stuffed burritos smothered with sauce and cheese?
The enchilada sauce that used for this recipe starts off as store-bought. If you have a great homemade enchilada sauce, by all means, use it. My Chili Colorado Smothered Burritos has a homemade enchilada sauce.
What is a smothered burrito?
A smothered burrito also known as a wet burrito. It's a burrito that has been covered with enchilada sauce and cheese. Baked and topped with all your favorite toppings.
How to wrap a burrito!
Add your filling down the center. Fold in both sides, bring up the bottom up over the filling. Keeping everything tight finish rolling it out.
Tips for making slow cooker beef burritos
- This recipe makes 8 large burritos but you can easily adjust the recipe to make smaller ones.
- These burritos can be made ahead of time for an easy weeknight meal. Or even frozen.
- They can be baked all at once are heated up individually.
- Freeze the leftover chipotle peppers for another use.
What goes with slow cooker beef burritos?
MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST FOR ALL MY LATEST RECIPES.
Slow Cooker Beef Burrito
Slow cooker beef burritos are loaded with tender, saucy shredded beef, refried beans and cheese. Topped with all your favorites.
- 2 ½ lbs beef chuck roast cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 -19oz can enchilada sauce
- 1-19 oz can refried beans
- 8-12inch size flour tortillas
- 3-4 cups pepper jack cheese
- Heat a large pot or skillet and add oil. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown the meat cubes 1-2 minutes on each side. Place meat in the slow cooker with chopped onions.
- Add taco seasoning, chipotle pepper, beef bullion cubes,garlic and enchilada sauce.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Remove meat chunks and shred with two forks.
- Strain the onions from the sauce and add them to the shredded beef. Set the remaining sauce aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay a tortilla out on a flat surface. Add ¼ cup refried beans, ½ cup shredded beef, 2-3 tablespoon cheese. Fold the side of the tortilla in and roll. Repeat. Place the burrito seam side down in a 9x13 baking dish. Pour the strained sauce over the top and add the rest of the cheese.
- Baked for 25 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings
If you don't like spicy you can substitute tomato paste for the chipotle or just leave it out altogether.
Place the rest of the chipotle pepper in adobo sauce in a ziplock freezer bag and freeze for later.
This makes 8 large burritos. You can easily adjust the size.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1030Total Fat 67gSaturated Fat 38gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 187mgSodium 2904mgCarbohydrates 46gFiber 6gSugar 7gProtein 61g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I have done this recipe with chuck roast 90min,pork loin roast 40min, and chicken breast 25min. They all work great. The chipotle is a little hot for the kiddos.
So I add one jar medium herdez salsa casera to pot with shredded meat and refried beans. Definitely a family favorite.
I have not made this in an instant pot. It should work fine though.