Slow Cooker Steak and Gravy has tender, juicy round steak, slow-cooked with a delicious rich beef gravy made using beef bouillon, some veggies, and spices.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you! Read our disclosure policy here.
This classic comfort food dish takes only a few minutes to prep, leaving you with more time to get stuff done while it cooks all day. Just a warning, it smells incredible just like my Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy, and will make your mouth water.
Serve it over a bed of mashed potatoes with a side of corn and a crisp side salad for a complete perfect meal for your family.
Why This recipe works
This easy recipe doesn't require much work yet is so delicious and is fork tender- definitely one of my favorite things. It's a leaner, more affordable cut of beef like in this Slow Cooker Mexican Steak.
The mushroom gravy recipe is what helps keep the tough cut of meat moist as it cooks while infusing it with extra flavor without the need for the cream of mushroom soup or any other cream of anything soup recipes.
Having the best comfort food, like this delicious recipe, ready to go after a busy day makes the whole family happy.
- Round steak: Sirloin steak or chuck roast can also be used.
- Olive oil
- Onion: Yellow or white
- Mushrooms: fresh mushrooms
- Water: You can also use beef broth
- Onion gravy packet: Brown gravy will also work
- Cornstarch: a thickener for your flavorful gravy
How to make slow cooker round steak and gravy
- Step 1: Heat olive oil in a skillet or saucepan and add round steaks. Brown both sides of the steak and move them to the slow cooker.
- Step 2: Add more oil to the saucepan and cook onion chunks until browned.
- Step 3: Transfer cooked onions to the slow cooker and add garlic, half the gravy packet, water, and bouillon cube.
- Step 4: Cook on low.
- Step 5: Before the end of the cooking time, add the cornstarch to a 1/2 cup of the gravy from the slow cooker, making a slurry to add to thicken the gravy. Add in mushrooms and stir.
- Step 6: Turn the heat up to high and finish cooking. Serve and enjoy.
- When serving this steak recipe, you can serve this steak and gravy without the mushrooms to those who may not like them, but the flavor will still be there.
- In place of the onion gravy mix, you can use a packet of dry onion soup mix, au jus, or just regular brown gravy mix.
- Add other fresh herbs of choice for more flavor.
Round steak is a type of beef steak that comes from the hindquarters of the cow. It's usually cut from the bottom round or eye of round muscles. It's known for being lean and relatively tough due to a lot of connective tissue and little fat, so it's often best when it's cooked slowly in a crockpot or pressure cooker.
This slow-cooking method is the best way to tenderize the steak and make it more delicious. Sometimes round stead is from the top round, making it top round steak which is a little more tender than bottom and still great for Crock Pot Round Steak with this easy gravy.
Instead of serving with mashed potatoes, you can serve this over a bed of rice or with some egg noodles. This flavorful beef
would also be great with green beans or steamed vegetables.
Technically no, but it does add flavor to the beef by searing it. But if time is an issue you can skip this step.
Sure, this recipe would also work with chuck roast
or some top sirloin steaks.
Slow Cooker Steak and Gravy
- 3 pounds round steak see notes
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil divided
- 1 large onion cut into chunks
- 2 packages onion gravy
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 2 cups water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season the round steak with salt and pepper on both sides. Place the round steaks into the skillet and brown for 2-3 minutes then flip and sear for 2-3 minutes then place into the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining olive oil into the skillet then add the onions to get a brown, then place into the slow cooker.
- Add in the garlic, onion gravy, water, and boullion cube cook on low for 8 hours
- 30 minutes before its done mix the cornstarch with ½ cup of the gravy and mix to make a slurry. Add the slurry with the mushrooms to the slow cooker, give it a stir. Turn the slow cooker to high and cook uncovered for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.