Slow cooker white bean stew is a hearty, and flavorful dinner. Loaded with white beans, bacon, sausage, beef, and pork for a comforting meal. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This is a twist on a dish called Cassoulet which is a French dish made up of meat and beans. It's cooked low and slow and develops into a rich complex dish.
Let's take a quick look at the ingredients
• Great Northern beans
• Smoked sausage
• Bacon- I like to use thick-cut bacon
• Pork stew meat
• Beef stew meat
• Creole Seasoning- Cajun seasoning is a good substitute
• Bay leaves
• Tomato paste
• Tomato sauce
• Beef broth-you can also use chicken stock
Scroll down to the bottom for the full printable recipe!
How to make slow cooker white bean stew
1. Saute the bacon- I like to use thick-cut bacon for this recipe.
2. Brown the sausage- You're just basically giving the sausage some color.
3. Saute the onions- Cook just until softened.
4. Add in the garlic- You just want to cook the garlic for a minute or two just until fragrant.
5. Brown the pork and beef-browning the pork and beef not only adds color to the meat but also allows the meat to sear in those juices.
6. Add to the slow cooker- Add all the browned meat and the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker.
I forgot to soak my beans
If you like me and always forget to soak your beans the night before you can do this quick soak method. Or simply use 5 can of small white beans drained and rinsed.
What are some substitutions I could use?
You could change up the meat, use chicken, lamb, or all pork, or all beef, etc. You could try a different sausage. Even the seasoning is changeable. This dish you could really have fun tweaking. So long as the dish is still mainly comprised of meat and beans.
How do I store this?
Once the Cassoulet has cooled completely, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can I freeze this dish?
Definitely. It freezes well in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
What are good side dishes?
More hearty slow cooker recipes!
Slow Cooker White Bean Stew (Cassoulet)
- 1 lb Great Northern Beans soaked (or 5 can white beans drained and rinsed)
- 1 Link of Smoked Kielbasa Sausage sliced into coins
- 3 Bacon Slices chopped
- 1 lb Pork Stew Meat
- 1 lb Beef Stew Meat
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme dried
- 1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning
- 2 Large Bay Leaves
- 2 table spoons tomato paste
- 1 14oz Tomato Sauce
- 2-1/2 Cups Beef broth
- 1. If using dried beans soak them overnight or you can do this quick soak method or simply just use canned.
- 2. Add the chopped bacon to a skillet and fry on medium heat until almost crispy. Remove the bacon but keep the fat.
- 3. Add the sausage links and caramelize on medium heat. When you start to see some good dark charring it’s time to remove those and put them to the side with the bacon.
- 4. Add the onions and then garlic, cook until soft.
- 5. Remove the onions and garlic and add the pork and beef stew meat. Cook until the outside has browned.
- 6. Add all these ingredients to the slow cooker, along with the beans (drained).
- 7. Add the thyme, Creole seasoning and bay leaves. As well as the tomato paste, sauce and beef broth.
- 8. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- 9. Remove the bay leaves and serve with your choice of sides.