Air fryer apple hand pies are loaded with tender cinnamon-sugar apples in a buttery flaky crust.
Nothing better than the comforting flavors of apple pie any time of year. Making a whole apple pie can be time-consuming. These are just so easy and the filling-to-pie crust ratio is absolutely perfect.
These air fryer apple hand pies never last long in our house. Both kids and adults devour these like this German Apple Pie!
Tips for air fryer apple hand pies
- You can use any type of apple that you prefer for these pies. I usually use Granny Smith and Gala.
- Make the apple slices small. It's much easier to fit the filling in the pie crusts.
- Don’t let the scraps go to waste, gather them up and re-roll out the crust.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket.
- If you have a favorite homemade crust by all means use it.
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer (I use a Cosori)is a kitchen appliance that cooks food by circulating the hot air all around. It's also fantastic for reheating food. Seriously you won't regret getting one.
Can I use a different filling?
Absolutely, blueberry, cheery, or peach is also delicious. If the fruit isn’t currently in the season just grab 2 cans of pie filling.
Can I freeze air fryer apple hand pies?
Yes, you can freeze these in a couple of different ways. Freeze before air frying by wrapping them each in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer bag.
Or air fry them as directed, let cool and wrap each one in plastic wrap, and place in a freezer bag.
Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies
- 14.1- ounce refrigerated pie crust 2 crusts
- 2 granny smith apples peeled cored, and chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Heat a medium saucepan on medium-low heat and add in the sliced apples, lemon juice, water, sugar-cinnamon, nutmeg salt, and cornstarch and mix until combined.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, and stirring occasionally cook apples until they are slightly soft and sauce is thickened and out 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the apples to cool for about 10 minutes
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the pie crust and cut it into 4 ½ in circles (I use a circle cookie cutter) and place on the baking sheet.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the apple filling onto the bottom half of the circle. Flip the top half over until the edges touch. Use a fork and press the edges together.
- Using a small knife make three slits in the crust on top of the pies.
- Brush the egg wash over the hand pies and sprinkle the coarse sugar on top.
- Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees for 5 minutes
- Place 2-5 hand pies in the air fryer basket. See notes
- Air fry for 8-10 minutes.