Beef Stroganoff is rich, creamy, and loaded with juicy, tender beef, mushrooms, and egg noodles, and comes together in under 30 minutes.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This classic beef stroganoff is a family favorite and always a huge hit in our house. Hard to resist the creamy rich gravy soaked into those buttery noodles.
Why this recipe works
Easy beef stroganoff recipe is perfect comfort food that's great any time of year. Tender beef, bold flavor, and creamy sauce are all components that make this dish amazing. Oh and let's not forget it can be on the dinner table in 30 minutes making it a quick weeknight meal.
- Beef- I prefer to use beef tenderloin.
- Mushrooms-Cremini mushrooms or baby Bella mushrooms.
- Worcestershire sauce-Don't leave this out it adds so much flavor.
- Beef stock- You can also use beef bouillon cubes dissolved in water.
- Pasta-I use egg noodles but any type of flat pasta will work.
- Sour cream- Greek yogurt can also be used.
How to make this recipe
- Step 1- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat (I use cast iron) Add oil to the skillet and add in beef strips and cook the beef. Remove to a platter
- Step 2-Melt the butter in the skillet and add in the onions, fresh mushrooms, and garlic and saute
- Step 3-Sprinkle in the flour.
- Step 4-Then add in the cups of beef broth and simmer on medium-low heat until thickened.
- Step 5-Add in the paprika and Worcestershire sauce and mix.
- Step 6-Whisk together and simmer.
- Step 7-Whisk in sour cream until combined.
- Step 8-Fold in the cooked pasta and beef.
- Sear your meat in batches, if you overcrowd the pan it will steam and you won't get a nice crust.
- I like serving this with pasta but it's also delicious with mashed potatoes or white rice.
- Don't let the sauce come to a boil after adding the cup of sour cream, boiling it can cause it to curdle.
It's a popular Russian dish that uses simple ingredients. Sautéed beef and mushrooms in a creamy sour cream gravy sauce.
Beef ribeye, top sirloin steak, or beef tenderloin are all great choices, even lean ground beef works well. I don't recommend using cheaper cuts of beef, the meat is seared at a high heat and tender cuts do better.
Store this homemade beef stroganoff recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days
Yes, you can, it's best to freeze just the sauce, pasta tends to get a little mushy after being frozen. Freeze in a freezer-safe airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and heat until warmed through and add to fresh pasta for easy weeknight meals.
- 1 1/2 pounds steak, rib eye, tenderloin, or sirloin steak
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10 ounces extra wide egg noodles
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions, and set aside.
- Slice the beef against the grain into thin strips. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and add vegetable oil. Sear the beef strips quickly about 1-2 minutes (it's ok if they have a little pink they will cook more in the sauce.) and remove to a plate.
- Add the butter to the skillet and melt. Add in the onions, mushrooms, and garlic and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir.
- Add in beef stock and whisk. Allow the broth to come to a low boil then reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the Worcestershire sauce, paprika, Dijon mustard, and sour cream.
- Fold in pasta and beef, garnish with fresh parsley, and serve.
Sear the meat in batches to prevent overcrowding and get the best sear.
Do not keep simmering after you add back in the cooked beef, It will overcook the beef.
Any type of short pasta will work.
Sour Cream-Greek yogurt can be used instead.
Storage- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Serving Size6 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 658Total Fat 45gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 22gCholesterol 160mgSodium 1006mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 42g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.