Spaghetti Bolognese is rich and delicious, and a dinner time favorite in our house!
It doesn't get more satisfying and comforting than spaghetti bolognese. This classic meal is sure to impress and satisfy your hungry family.
What is bolognese sauce?
Bolognese sauce is a slow-cooked rich meat sauce. With some vegetables, tomatoes, and wine simmered on low for at least two hours so all the flavors can blend. There is usually milk or beef broth in it to cut back on the tomato flavor.
How do I make Spaghetti Bolognese?
- Begin by heating a pot on medium-high heat and add bacon and cook just until crispy remove and drain on a paper towel.
- Drain all but one tablespoon of bacon grease and add onions, carrots and celery , cook just until tender.
- Add in ground beef and garlic and cook until browned. Drain any extra fat.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and simmer covered on low for 2 hours.
Simmering this bolognese sauce on low for two hours gives it a rich deep flavor. This classic meat sauce is even better the next day if that's even possible. Plus it freezes well for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
Looking for more pasta recipes? Check these out!
- Tuscan Grilled Chicken Pasta
- Slow Cooker Ravioli
- Bacon Jalapeno Mac N Cheese
- Classic Garlic Fettuccine Alfredo
- Spicy Italian Sausage Baked Ziti
- Classic Alfredo Cheese Tortellini
- Baked Ravioli with Vodka Cream sauce
- 6 slices smoky bacon diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 2 celery stalks finely diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage
- 2- 28 oz tomato sauce
- 1- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1-2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar *see notes
- 2 large Bay Leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh Basil
- Heat a large pot on medium high heat and add bacon, cook just until crispy. remove and set aside. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat.
- Add onions, carrots and celery and cook just until tender about 5 minutes.
- Add in ground beef, sausage and garlic and cook until browned. Drain the fat if needed.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients except and bring to a boil, cover then reduce heat and simmer 2 hours
- Cook pasta according to the package directions.
- Add the spaghetti to the Bolognese sauce and toss until well coated. Serve and top with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.