This Chicken Enchilada Soup is packed full of flavor, and a delicious meal everybody will love!
Everything you love about chicken enchiladas in one bowl! Loaded with chicken, green chilis, beans and lots of cheese! This soup is a big bowl of comfort food, topped with all your favorites.
I love using my cast iron dutch oven for soups or braising meats in the oven. But this chicken enchilada soup can also be made in the slow cooker if you choose.
If you have any leftovers it freezes perfectly, I like to use these 32oz Plastic Deli Containers to freeze my soups in, perfect 2-4 servings.
Masa Harina is a fine corn flour for homemade tortillas or tamales also helps thicken this soup and gives it a very authentic flavor. Usually located with the flour in your local grocery store.
More hearty comfort soups you might like
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup Masa Harina
- 2 10 oz cans mild enchilada sauce
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 7 oz can green chili peppers
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings
- tortilla strips
- sour cream
- In a medium bowl add masa and 3 cups chicken stock and whisk until combined and set aside.
- Heat a large dutch oven or pot on medium heat, add olive oil and onions and cook for a couple minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add in salt, chili powder and cumin and give it a stir.
- Add the Masa mixture and the rest of the chicken stock, enchilada sauce, cream cheese, peppers, black beans chicken and cheddar cheese. Mix until combined, place lid on and simmer 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.