Creamy sweet corn chowder loaded with potatoes, corn, bacon, and so much flavor. Ultimate comfort food![pinit]
Fresh sweet corn is one of my favorite things about summer. This Sweet Summer Corn Chowder does not disappoint! This fast and tasty soup can be on your table in 30 minutes, making it a perfect weeknight dinner.
This is one of the best soups, so much flavor. I like to throw in a couple of the naked corn cob to marinate in the chowder for added flavor. Corn is definitely the star of this soup. You can also check out my Loaded Potato Soup it is a also a huge family favorite.
So when corn is the cheapest during the summer make sure you stalk up and make a big pot of this chowder. Plus it freezes perfectly. I buy these containers from Amazon to freeze soups in, they are perfect.
- 8 ears white or yellow corn or 5 cups frozen corn
- 6 slices thick bacon cut into pieces
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- ¼ cup flour
- 5 cups chicken stock or water
- 3 large russet potatoes, rinsed, peeled and cut into ¼ in cubes
- 1½ cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- cheddar cheese
- green onions
- Remove husks and clean silks from corn then slice off the kernels
- In a large pot, add bacon and cook until crispy, remove to a paper towel Set aside.
- Add onion and cook 5 minutes until soft, add garlic and cook another minute or two. Add in flour and stir, whisk in chicken broth until combined. Add in thyme, potatoes and corn kernels, (I like to toss in a couple cobs to simmer in the chowder for added flavor) bring to a low boil and simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Once the potatoes are tender, transfer two cups of the soup into an electric blender or food processor and process until you get a thick mixture. Then stir it back into the pot.
- Add heavy cream, honey and salt and pepper mix until combined.
- Garnish with cheese, bacon and green onions