This Loaded Potato Soup is super creamy and loaded with all the favorites! Comfort food at it best!
This loaded potato soup is packed with tender chunks of potatoes, some veggies, bacon and cheeeese! When the colder weather hits, I love to make soups. This is a simple recipe and is considered the ultimate comfort food.
It is super creamy and topped with crispy bacon, green onions, and of course more cheeeese! To me potato soups need to be creamy but still have some chunks of potatoes. I guess I like more texture in each bite. But either way it is delicious!
If you love soup as much as my family does you may want to check out some of my other recipes.
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Slow Cooker Bean and Bacon Soup
- Thick and Creamy New England Clam Chowder
- Ribeye Steak Chili
- Sweet Corn Chowder
If you wanted to set it and forget it, you could totally do this in the slow cooker. But this comes together rather quickly in a big pot on the stove. I promise it will make you feel all warm and cozy inside on a chilly day!
I love using my Enameled cast Iron Dutch Oven to make this soup, keeps it nice and warm for a long time.
- 5 large Russet potatoes dice into cubes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups milk
- 2 large carrots diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 8 ounces cream cheese cut into cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (plus more for garnish)
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- green onions
- ½ lb Bacon cut into bit sized pieces (I used a smoked cherrywood bacon)
- cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot on medium heat cook bacon until crispy, remove and drain on paper towels. Set aside for garnish
- In the same pot toss all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease and add carrots, onions and celery and cook for 5 minutes or just until softened. Add butter and garlic and melt on low heat, add flour and cook for 1 minute whisking constantly to cook the flour just a bit. Stir in the chicken stock, milk and cream cheese and add the diced potatoes. Bring to a low simmer and cook 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add in the cheddar cheese, add more salt for taste if needed.
- Serve in bowls and top with more cheese, bacon, green onions.