I love strawberry anything, but these Strawberry Crumble Bars are truly amazing. With a buttery shortbread crust and a fresh strawberry filling, topped off with a crumbly crumb topping. Yum yum and yum!
I’m super excited strawberry season is upon us and I get to make pans and pans of these gems. These bars make a wonderful dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or a just a quick snack. If you love strawberries as much as I do you will love this light and refreshing treat. My family loves these bars and they never last long in my house. Anytime hubby has a pot luck lunch at work I usually send these and co-workers just rave about them These bars are just way to yummy not to share!
- Strawberry Filling
- 3 heaping cups of fresh strawberries, diced
- ½ cup granulated sugar (use more if strawberries are tart)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2⅓ cups flour
- ⅔ granulated cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Butter - cut into ½ inch pieces
- + 1 Tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup Quick Cooking Oats
- Glaze drizzle
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Prepare the filling: In a large saucepan, combine the chunks of berries, sugar, lemon juice, corn starch, and water. Stir to combine. Bring to a gentle boil over med-high heat. Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid turns into a thick syrup (about 8-10 minutes). Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees spray a 13x9 in baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix together flour. sugar, and salt. Slowly add 1 cup cold butter mixing until combined. Set aside 1½ cups of the mixture for the topping.
- Pour remaining mixture in baking dish packing it firmly, bake for 15 minutes
- Add to the reserved topping mixture, the brown sugar and oats and the additional 1 tablespoon of cold butter. Mix until crumbly
- Spread the strawberry filling over the crust and sprinkle the topping over the filling.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes the filling will be bubbly and the crust will be golden.