This Filet Mignon with Garlic Herb Butter is easy and tastes absolutely phenomenal! Tender, juicy, and seared to perfection.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This Filet Mignon with Garlic Herb Butter absolutely melts in your mouth. Cooking it in a hot pan like my Pan Seared Rib Eye and finishing it in the oven will give you the best filet mignon you ever had. So easy to do, super tender, flavorful, and delicious with a side of my Roasted Parmesan Broccoli!
Why this recipe works
Learn how to cook this elegant main course option from home. With just a little bit of patience and a few simple ingredients, you'll have a perfect steak that will get rave reviews like my Beef Ribeye Roast.
Ingredients for this recipe
- Learn how to cook this elegant main course option from home. Just a little bit of patience and a few simple ingredients you'll have a perfect steak that will get rave reviews.
- Olive oil- you want to use a high smoke point oil, avocado oil is also great.
- Salt- kosher salt is best.
- Black pepper- Fresh cracked black pepper is my favorite.
- Butter- I like salted butter for this one.
- Garlic cloves-Use fresh garlic.
How to make this recipe
- Step 1- In a small bowl add the softened stick of butter, garlic and fresh herbs.
- Step 2- Mix until well combined.
- Step 4-Place butter in a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log, place in the refigerator until ready to use.
- Step 5-Let the steaks come to room temp for about 30 minutes. Season both side generously with salt and pepper.
- Step 6- Cook until desired doneness and let rest 5 minutes.
- I recommend using fresh herbs but dried herbs will work too
- Make sure you let your beef tenderloin come to room temperature before placing it in a hot skillet.
- Use a safe cast iron skillet or stainless steel skillet to get the highest heat for the searing and forming the best crust.
- Let the meat rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Your steak will continue to cook and the temperature will rise about another 5 degrees as it rest.
- The size of the steak will change the cooking time. Thinner steaks will cook much faster.
It's a steak that's cut from the tenderloin. Beef tenderloin is the most tender cut of beef. It can range in all different thicknesses. The best way to cook a filet is in a hot pan and often finished in the oven.
The garlic butter is such a perfect combo to top this filet off with. You could use half of the butter, depending on how many steaks you make. Or make my Compound butter and freeze it so you always have it on hand. So many endless possibilities with what you can add to this butter to make it even more delicious!
Use the best skillet you have to achieve the pan-seared effect and then transfer the steak to an oven-safe baking dish to finish cooking.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To reheat: Cut the steak into slices and heat a skillet on medium-high heat and add 1/2 tablespoon of plain butter and cook just until heated through.
I highly recommend using a digital meat thermometer to know when you've reached your desired doneness.
Rare - 120-125F
medium rare - 130-135F
medium - 140-145F,
medium well - 150-155F
well done - 160-165F
Best side dishes
MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, AND PINTEREST FOR ALL MY LATEST RECIPES.
Filet Mignon with Garlic Herb Butter
This Filet Mignon with Garlic Herb Butter is easy and taste absolutely phenomenal!
- 2-4 (8-ounce) Filet Mignon steaks, about 1 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh chopped parsley
For the Garlic Herb Butter
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Remove steaks from the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Heat a cast-iron or oven-safe skillet on high heat add olive oil and butter, once butter is melted and done foaming add steaks. Cook for 2 minutes then flip and cook another 2 minutes, this gives the Filets a nice brown sear. Place pan in the oven and cook for 7-8 minutes or until desired doneness. Using a meat thermometer you can check the temp. Rare - 120-125F, medium rare - 130-135F, medium - 140-145F, medium well - 150-155F and well done - 160-165F.
For the Butter
- In a small bowl add butter, herbs, and garlic and mix until combined. Place mixed butter on a piece of plastic wrap roll and twist the ends. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and add the garlic herb butter and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve garnish with fresh parsley and pan juices.
I recommend using fresh herbs but dried herbs will work too
Make sure you let your beef tenderloin come to room temperature before placing it in a hot skillet.
Use a safe cast iron skillet or stainless steel skillet to get the highest heat for the searing and forming the best crust.
Let the meat rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Serving Size1 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 951Total Fat 77gSaturated Fat 36gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 33gCholesterol 304mgSodium 641mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 61g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Yay shelley 🙂
This was my first time making a filet mignon & it was surprisingly easy & so very tasty. I would have taken a picture, but we ate it too fast.Thanks for a great recipe
The recipe is at the bottom of this post. There is a jump-to recipe button at the top for your convenience.
how long in oven and what temperature broil, 400 setting?
So happy you loved it Michele, Happy New Year. 🙂
Made this for new years day dinner. The filet MELT IN your mouth. Used the cast iron bring pan. Filets from whom foods.
Yes, you can totally leave it out. Fresh parsley would be another fresh herb that can be added.
This looks delightful but I hate the taste of rosemary..can it be omitted or what can I substitute it with?
Fantastic Liz 🙂
Hot Dog this was good! I loved the ease of quick searing, then throwing whole pan in oven. Used Costco Filet Mignon, accompanied by garlic butter sautéed mushrooms.... Phenomenal 😋