Grilled Lemon Soy Sauce Chicken is juicy and tender, marinated in a sweet and savory sauce then grilled to perfection!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
We love chicken recipes in our house and this one does not disappoint and is quick and easy to throw together. This soy sauce chicken recipe can be on the grill and on your plate in just 30 minutes with a side of these Frozen Brussel Sprouts in Air Fryer. If you love super-easy grilled dinners you'll have to check out my Sweet n Spicy Grilled Chicken Thighs, Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa, or my Grilled Chicken Club!
Ingredients for Soy Sauce Chicken
- Olive oil: I like to use extra virgin
- Soy sauce: I use low-sodium soy sauce but regular will also work.
- Brown sugar: Either light or dark will work.
- Thyme: Both dried and fresh will work.
- Red pepper flakes: This is optional but adds a great level of flavor.
How to grill soy sauce chicken
- Step 1: Add all the ingredients to a small bowl or large ziplock freezer bag and mix until combined.
- Step 2: Add the chicken thighs to a large bowl or large ziplock bag and pour the soy sauce chicken marinade over the top and mix around until well coated.
- Step 3: Place chicken on a hot grill on medium-high heat and discard the chicken marinade.
- Step 4: Cook the chicken until cooked through and using a meat thermometer check that the internal temperature reaches 164 degrees and the juices run clear.
- Get the lemon zest from your lemon first then squeeze the fresh lemon juice out of it.
- I recommend letting it marinate for at least 24 hours, so it soaks up all that amazing flavor!
- If you don't have an outdoor grill you'll love this smokeless indoor grill.
- Red pepper flakes- this is optional but adds a great level of flavor.
Absolutely, just note if you choose boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless thighs it will take less time than bone-in. Chicken wings would even be delicious!
Of course! Place the marinated chicken thighs in a 9x13 baking dish or baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. You can switch the oven to broil for the last 3-5 minutes to caramelize the skin a bit.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Soy Sauce Chicken Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 chicken thighs bone in with skin on
- 1. Mix ingredients, except chicken, in a bowl.
- 2. Add chicken to the bowl, coating completely in the marinade.
- 3. Cover the bowl and marinate for 30 minutes on the counter for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- 4. Heat grill to medium heat. Place chicken on the grill.
- 5. Turn every 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through to 165°F. Approximately 20-25 minutes