Paprika Chicken and Rice Bake is a delicious one-pot meal with tender juicy chicken, loaded with great flavors. Only uses a few simple ingredients, and comes together in under 40 minutes.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
Looking for a chicken dish that only uses a few simple ingredients, with so much flavor and minimal effort, this one is for you. Not only is it delicious but a perfect no-fuss weeknight meal like my Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole and Baked Chicken and Gravy.
Why this recipe works
This easy paprika chicken recipe has tender chicken on a bed of flavorful rice with lots of smoky paprika. A one-pot dinner that doesn't skimp on flavor and that the whole family will love.
Ingredients needed for Paprika Chicken
- Chicken: I prefer to use bone-in chicken thighs but boneless skinless chicken thighs will also work or even chicken legs.
- Rice: Jasmine or Basmati rice
- Paprika: I recommend smoked paprika, but regular paprika will work in a pinch.
- Onion: I like to use red onion for this, but a white or yellow onion will also work.
- Chicken broth: Low sodium to help reduce the salt.
How to Make Paprika Chicken
- Step 1: Place the chicken thighs skin side up on a cutting board and remove the skins.
- Step 2: Season chicken thighs with paprika seasoning, salt, and pepper over the chicken coating both sides.
- Step 3: Heat an oven-safe large skillet on medium-high heat and add the olive oil place the chicken thigh into the hot skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 4: Flip the chicken and cook another couple minutes then remove to a plate.
- Step 5: Add the diced onions and cook until soft then add in the garlic.
- Step 6: Add rice.
- Step 7: Add in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Step 8: Place chicken thighs on top of the rice, cover, and bake! Remove from the oven fluff rice with a fork and garnish with fresh parsley.
Recipe Tips for Paprika Chicken
- Add frozen peas or corn on top of rice before baking for a complete meal.
- Don't lift the lid before it's done cooking.
- Store any leftovers of this paprika chicken recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
A deep orange-red powdered spice with a mild flavor. Ground from different varieties of peppers. Paprika adds vibrant color and great flavor to any dish. There are a few different types, sweet paprika, hot paprika, and my favorite smoked paprika which is what I used for this recipe to get the big flavor
You can use boneless chicken breasts if you prefer. Add them to the rice 20 minutes into the cooking time.
Yes! You can add raw chicken to uncooked rice to be cooked together for a delicious one-pot meal.
No, if you don't have an oven-proof pot or skillet. Sear the chicken as directed, cook the onions and garlic, add the rice and stock, and scrape the flavorful bits off the bottom. Then transfer the rice to a baking dish and place the chicken on top. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake.
Paprika Chicken and Rice Bake
- 5-6 large bone in chicken thighs skin removed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3-4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups Jasmine rice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Remove skin from chicken thighs and pat dry. Season with paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet on medium-high. Add olive oil and place chicken thighs in the hot oil. Cook 3-4 minutes then flip and cook another 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the chicken fat. Add onions and garlic and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Pour in the rice and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add chicken back in.
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork. Add more salt and pepper to taste and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.