One Pot Mushroom Chicken and Rice is a budget-friendly meal using simple ingredients with savory chicken, earthy mushrooms, and aromatic herbs in this hearty, comforting dish.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
One-pot meals are easy and convenient, by making everything in this one-pot recipe you minimize clean-up and save time in the kitchen. Like my Paprika chicken and Rice Bake, Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice or my Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole.
Why this recipe works
The combination of tender chicken, hearty rice, and flavorful mushrooms creates a satisfying meal the whole family will love. An easy weeknight dinner recipe that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with a simple side salad, Roasted Broccoli and Ciabatta Garlic Bread for a complete meal.
Ingredients needed for this skillet chicken and rice
- Chicken: Bone-in chicken thighs
- Rice: Any long grain rice will work I like jasmine rice. Instant rice will not work for this recipe.
- Onion: White or yellow onion works great.
- Mushrooms: I use button mushrooms but shiitake mushrooms or cremini mushrooms will also work.
- Chicken broth: Low sodium to help control the salt.
- Heavy cream: Adds a light creamy sauce to the rice but you can substitute with just more chicken broth for this rice dish.
- Thyme/Parsley: I prefer to use fresh thyme and fresh parsley, but dried can be used in you choose.
How to make this one-pot meal
- Step 1: Season the chicken thighs.
- Step 2: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the seasoned chicken thighs in a single layer to sear. Flip and sear the other side, and remove to a plate.
- Step 3: Add in the onions, mushrooms and garlic.
- Step 4: Add in the uncooked rice and give it a stir.
- Step 5: Pour in the chicken stock and heavy cream and scrape the browned bits up from the bottom of the pan and let it come to a simmer.
- Step 6: Place the chicken thighs on top of the rice, cover and bake.
- You can remove the skin from the chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Let it rest: Once the rice is cooked and the chicken is tender, allow the dish to rest for a few minutes off the heat. This helps the flavors meld together and the rice to absorb any remaining moisture.
- Add some frozen peas to the rice before baking.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days.
Although they won't be as juicy you can use chicken breasts. I recommend adding them to the rice 20 minutes into the cooking time because they won't need as long of cooking time.
Aluminum foil wrapped tightly over the top will work just fine.
Yes cool completely then wrap with aluminum foil and place in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the microwave.
One Pot Mushroom Chicken and Rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5-6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic garlic powder also works
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces button mushrooms, sliced about 6 large mushrooms
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic ,minced
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 3/4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season the chicken thighs evenly with the paprika, granulated garlic, salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large oven safe skillet with a lid heat the olive oil on medium high heat, add in the chicken thighs.
- Sear the thighs for 3-4 minutes then flip and sear another 3-4 minutes, then remove them to a plate. The chicken will not be cooked all the way through at this point.
- Add the mushrooms, onions and garlic to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes just until soft and fragrant.
- Add in the uncooked rice and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken stock, cream, thyme and parsley and mix. Let the liquid come to a low simmer.
- Place the partially cooked chicken thighs on top of the rice.
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the lid and bake another 5-10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from the oven let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.