Sour Cream Crumb Cake is buttery and moist and topped with a delicious cinnamon crumb topping, every bite will melt in your mouth!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This buttery cake is moist and dense and not too sweet, loaded with an irresistible buttery streusel. Each bite of this sweet cake is simply to die for and everybody raves about it!
Why this recipe works
This homemade coffee cake is an easy recipe using simple pantry ingredients. Perfect for a simple snack special occasion, holiday brunch like my French Toast Cups, Easy Breakfast Casserole and Blueberry French Toast Casserole.
Ingredients for sour cream crumb cake
The full ingredient amounts are at the bottom of the post in a printable recipe card
- Flour: All purpose flour works best.
- Brown sugar: Both light and dark will work.
- Butter: Unsalted butter at room temperature.
- Sour cream: Use full-fat sour cream, you can also use Greek yogurt
How to make crumb cake
- Step 1: Place the crumb-topping ingredients into a food processor or bowl.
- Step 2: Pulse the toppings or mix with a fork until crumbly.
- Step 3: In a large bowl add the cream butter and sugars and mix until combined.
- Step 4: Add in the eggs, milk, sour cream and vanilla.
- Step 5: Mix just until combined.
- Step 6: Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined.
- Step 7: Spread 1/2 of the batter into a prepared pan, followed by 1/2 of the crumb mixture.
- Step 8: Spread the second layer of the remaining batter on top followed by the remaining streusel topping and bake!
- Crumb cakes and coffee cakes are denser than regular cakes, so you don't want to overmix them.
- You can double this crumb cake and bake it in a 9x13 baking pan.
- You can place the crumb topping ingredients into a medium bowl and mix with a fork instead of a food processor.
- I like to sprinkle a dusting of powdered sugar on top before serving.
- Spoon flour into your measuring cup then level off with the flat end of a knife.
- To spread the top layer of batter without lifting it from the cinnamon sugar layer, Spray a rubber spatula with non stick cooking spray.
It consists of a buttery vanilla cake with a cinnamon sugar streusel topping on top of the cake and running through the center.
The topping consists of butter, brown sugar cinnamon, and flour mixed together until a tender crumb is formed.
Store leftover coffee cake in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months.
If your topping is getting too brown before the cake is done. Place a loosely tented piece of aluminum foil on top.
Sour Cream Crumb Cake
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened (12 tablespoons)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat over 350 degrees spray a 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray
- In a medium bowl (or a food processor) combine the topping ingredients just until slightly clumpy and set-aside
- In a large bowl and using a mixer cream butter and sugars together until combined, add eggs one at a time than milk, sour cream, and vanilla and mix just until combined.
- In a small bowl mix the flour. baking powder and salt then add it to the wet ingredients. mix until just combined.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the prepared baking pan. Gently spread half the crumb mixture over the cake layer pressing gently. Carefully spread the remaining cake batter over the crumb mixture followed by the rest of the crumb mixture.
- Place cake in the center of the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool and sprinkle powdered sugar (confectioners sugar) on top if desired