Air Fryer-Loaded Baked Potatoes are light and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside and cook in less time than in the oven. Loaded with butter, melty cheese, bacon, and sour cream makes a perfect baked potato!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This recipe uses simple ingredients and is a delicious side dish to chicken, beef, and pork chops like my Twice Baked Potatoes. Or if you prefer you can make these air fryer baked potatoes the main course just like my Pulled Pork Baked Potatoes.
Why this recipe works
Baked potatoes take about half the time in an air fryer and it does an amazing job of making the skins crispy. A great option in the warmer summer months you should also try this Air Fryer Corn On The Cob, Air Fryer Toast Sandwich this Frozen Broccoli in Air Fryer. If you prefer a mashed potato try my Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes.
Ingredients for air fryer potatoes
- Potatoes-medium-large Russets are the best potatoes.
- Butter-Use real butter for the best flavor.
- Cheese-I used cheddar cheese but you can use your favorite.
- Sour cream-You can use plain Greek yogurt if you prefer.
- Bacon- A great way to use any leftover bacon bits.
- Green onions-You can also use fresh chives.
How to make air fryer loaded baked potatoes
- Step 1: Heat a small skillet on medium-high heat and add the diced bacon and cook until; crispy, remove to a paper towel to drain.
- Step 2: Scrub your whole potatoes and pierce them with a fork several times.
- Step 3: Rub olive oil over them and sprinkle the outside with salt.
- Step 4: Place potatoes in the air fryer and cook.
- Step 5: Remove from the air fryer and slice down the middle and add butter, cheese, sour cream, and crispy bacon to the top of each potato.
- Pierce the potatoes several times with a fork.
- The size of the potato matters, so choose potatoes that are close to the same size, so they are done at the same time. Much larger potatoes will take a bit longer to cook.
- Dont overcrowd the air fryer basket, 3-4 potatoes fit nicely.
- Your potatoes are done when a knife slides through the flesh of the potato. If it doesn't add a couple of extra minutes to the cooking time.
An air fryer in a mini convection oven circulates hot air above and around your food, there are many different ones available I use a Cosori Air Fryer. It provides the taste and texture of frying foods like my Fish and Fries or these Air Fryer Breakfast Pockets without all the extra mess and calories, you would love Air Fryer Bacon. It makes chicken wings like my Old Bay Wings turn out juicy and crispy on the outside in a flash.
I usually prefer Russet potatoes, but that being said Yukon Gold or even Sweet potatoes are great options.
I have forgotten to pierce my potatoes and made them in the air fryer and they turned out just fine. But they could technically explode during the cooking process and cause a big mess. So I always poke them just to be on the safe side.
Storing leftover potatoes is easy like my Crispy Potato Skins just place in an airtight container and put them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 350 degrees until warm. Or dice up the cooked potatoes and fry them with a Cheesy Omelet for breakfast.
Air Fryer Loaded Baked Potatoes
- 4 medium-large russet potatoes
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon green onions
- 1. Heat a small skillet on medium-high heat and add the diced bacon and cook until; crispy, remove to a paper towel to drain.
- 2. Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes.
- 3. Scrub and rinse potatoes. Pierce the potatoes with a fork several times. Rub each potato with 1 teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- 4. Place potatoes in the air fryer. Set to 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 5. Heat a small skillet on medium-high heat and add the diced bacon and cook until; crispy, remove to a paper towel to drain.
- 6. To check the doneness of the potatoes, insert a sharp knife in the middle. Potato is done when the knife goes in easily.
- 7. Remove from the air fryer. Slice open in the middle and season with additional salt, pepper, and butter. Load it up with cheese, bacon, and sour cream, and top with green onions.