Air Fryer French Toast Sticks are quick and easy to make, crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Dipped in some maple syrup for a delicious breakfast! And great for freezing!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
French toast sticks are made with bread that’s soaked in a mixture of eggs, milk, and vanilla, then coated in some cinnamon sugar and air-fried until golden brown.
Why this recipe works
These French toast sticks are everything you love about French toast but it is much faster to make in the air fryer and perfect for those busy mornings. The air fryer gets these french toast sticks perfectly crispy on the outside and soft in the center. If you love using your air fryer for these then you have to try my Apple Hand Pies and my Air Fryer Donuts!
- Bread: Use a thick bread like Brioche or Texas toast and it the best if it's a day old.
- Eggs: Large eggs, preferably at room temperature.
- Heavy Cream: You can use whole milk if you prefer.
- Vanilla: Adds a delicious touch of sweetness.
- Sugar/cinnamon: The sugar mixture gives the French toast sticks a crunchy coating.
- Powdered sugar: This is totally optional but delicious with a little sifted onto the French toast sticks.
- Syrup: I always recommend using real maple syrup.
How to make these French toast sticks
- Step 1: Cut the slices of bread into thirds.
- Step 2: In a shallow bowl add the eggs, heavy cream, vanilla, and salt.
- Step 3: In a separate bowl add the granulated sugar and cinnamon and mix.
- Step 4: Roll a slice of bread into the egg mixture and shake off any extra mixture.
- Step 5: Place the pieces of bread in the .cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Step 6: Flip the bread until coated on the other side and place on a baking sheet.
- Step 7: Place the bread slices into the air fryer basket and fry.
- Step 8: Once done remove from the fryer and garnish with powdered sugar and syrup.
- Use day-old bread, it will hold together better than fresh.
- Don't oversoak the bread or it will start to fall apart.
- For the best results place the french toast stick in a single layer.
- Make a double batch of these bread sticks and freeze them for a quick and easy recipe.
Any type of bread can be used for this air fryer French toast sticks recipe. I do recommend sturdy thicker bread that won't fall apart when soaked in the egg mixture. Challah bread, brioche bread, and Texas toast are great options.
The cooking time for air fryer French toast sticks varies depending on bread thickness, temperature, air fryer size, and brand. Cook them for about 3-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and crispy.
Yes, you can freeze them for up to 2 months. Place sticks on a parchment-lined baking sheet, freeze for 1-2 hours, then transfer to freezer-safe bags or containers. Place the frozen french toast sticks into the air fryer and fry at 300 degrees for 3-4 minutes for a quick breakfast.
You can serve them with fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, or my Homemade Country Breakfast Sausage
Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- 6 slices thick bread, Brioche, Texas toast, challah
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- powdered sugar
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees
- Cut your bread slices into four 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- In a medium shallow bowl add the eggs, heavy cream, vanilla, and salt and whisk until mixed.
- In a separate shallow bowl add the sugar and cinnamon and mix.
- Dip a couple slices of the bread and flip to cover both sides (don't soak) with the custard. Shake off any excess and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on both sides.
- Place the sticks into the preheated air fryer.
- Air fry for 6-8 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Check after 5 minutes all air fryers cook slightly different.
- Remove the french toast sticks and place them on a platter, they will crisp up a bit as they cool. Repeat for the rest of the french toast sticks.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with warm syrup.