Flank steak street tacos are so easy and full of flavor. Marinated in lime juice, garlic, Chipotle, and cilantro and seared on a super hot skillet or grill. Topped with a fresh pico de gallo that puts these babies over the top
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
I wish every day was taco Tuesday, I mean I love them that much like my Crispy Shrimp Tacos or my Salsa Chicken Tacos! These Chipotle-Lime Flank Steak Street Tacos are such an easy recipe and full of flavor. Marinated in lime juice, garlic, chipotle, and cilantro seared on a super hot skillet or grill. YUM!
Why this recipe works
Tacos don't have to be complicated, this recipe uses simple ingredients is perfect for your next taco night. The tender steak can be made on a outside grill or a hot skillet on the stovetop just like my Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce.
- Steak- Flank steak, skirt steak or flap meat are all a very similar cut of steak. Sirloin steak ia another option.
- Chipotle in adobo sauce-this comes in a can usually in the Mexican section of you grocery store.
- Lime wedges- A generous squeeze of lime gives the meat a nice citrus flavor.
- Cilantro- I love the freshness of it, but you can use flat leaf parsley if your not a fan.
- Salt and Pepper- Use kosher salt and don't skimp you may even need to add a sprinkle once its off the grill.
- Tortillas- Flour or corn, whichever you prefer. I like to use smaller tortillas.
- Cheese-I use cotija cheese, but regular shredded cheese is also great!
How to make this recipe
- Step 1- in a small bowl add all the marinade ingredients and mix until combined.
- Step 2- Place the steak in a ziplock freezer bag or container and pour the marinade over the top.
- Step 3-Place the steak on a outdoor grill or cast iron skillet and cook until desired doneness.
- Step 4- Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Slice steak thin strips against the grain.
- Marinade for 8 hours for optimal flavor
- Cook the steak to medium rare and slice thinly against the grain.
- If your not sure how to tell when the steak is done I highly recommend using a digital meat thermometer.
- Let the steak rests for 10 minutes before slicing.
- I used white corn tortillas, but flour tortillas are another great option.
- I highly recommend grilling the tortillas, it adds a nice layer of flavor.
Flank steak is a long flat rather oddly shaped cut of meat. It has an intense beef flavor, that is great for marinades. The best way to cook this cut of meat is on high heat and fast, or else it can easily become dry and tough. Skirt steak can often be used instead of flank steak in many recipes. Both cuts of meat need to be sliced thinly against the grain, for optimal tenderness. Grilled flank steak or skirt steak are both fantastic for Mexican food and best when cooked to medium-rare.
If we happen to have leftovers I like to chop them up and throw them in some quesadillas or on top of a fresh green salad.
I love to just set up a taco bar especially if I'm entertaining. Some of our favorites to top off a flank steak taco are.
Cheese, I use cotija but any cheese will work
Pica De Gallo
Chipotle-Lime Flank Steak Street Tacos
- 2 lbs flank steak
- Juice of 4 limes
- 4 chipotle peppers diced plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves diced
- Cotija cheese
- Corn or flour tortillas
Pica de Gallo
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes diced
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl add lime juice, chipotles and adobo sauce, salt, garlic, cilantro, and olive oil mix until combined. in a large ziplock bag add flank steak and pour marinade in. Refrigerate for 4-8 hours.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or grill on high. Remove the steak from the marinade and place it on the hot skillet/grill for about 4-5 minutes then flip and cook another 4-5 minutes for medium-rare. Or until the desired doneness.
- Let steak rest for 10-15 minutes. Then slice in thin slices against the grain.
- Pica de Gallo- Combine onions, jalapeños, tomatoes, and chopped cilantro in a large bowl. Squeeze in the juice of 2 limes and add the salt. Mix until combined Add more salt to taste