Fire roasted salsa comes together in minutes and is loaded with flavor. Perfect with chips, tacos, burritos and nachos.
Summer is prime tomato season, so whether you use your own homegrown tomatoes or grab them from your local grocery store. Don’t let summer go by without giving this one a try.
The charred tomatoes, peppers and onions add a smoky flavor to the salsa, great for dipping your favorite tortilla chips.
Tips for making fire roasted salsa
- I usually use Roma tomatoes but you can use, heirloom or vine tomatoes.
- Roasting the veggies on the grill gives the best flavor. But you can broil in the oven if needed.
- Use rubber gloves when seeding the peppers. The oil from the peppers can burn your hands.
- Store salsa in an airtight container for 4 days.
Items I used for this recipe
Recipes to use this salsa in
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Slow cooker Salsa Chicken Tacos
- Chili Colorado Smothered Burritos
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Burritos
- Grilled Steak Tacos with Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Chipotle Lime Grilled Flank Steak Tacos
- Foil Packet BBQ Chicken Nachos
- 3 pounds roma tomatoes
- 1 large white onion sliced in thirds
- 2 jalapenos
- 2 large poblano peppers
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Heat a grill on medium high heat. Place whole tomatoes, pepper and onion slices over direct heat. Cook 5 minutes or until it begins to get some char. Flip and cook another 5 minutes. Remove to a bowl and let cool.
- Remove the stem and seeds from the peppers (use gloves so you don't get any oils on your hands, if you have a lot of charring on your peppers you can scrape it some off.
- Place peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, sugar and salt in a food processor. Pulse until blended.
- Taste and season with more salt, sugar and lime juice if needed.
- Store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
You can also broil the tomatoes and peppers instead of grilling
Serving Size4 cups
Amount Per Serving Calories 104 Saturated Fat 1g Sodium 1186mg Carbohydrates 23g Fiber 6g Sugar 14g Protein 4g