Classic Egg salad is a foolproof recipe that features hearty eggs, creamy mayonnaise, crisp celery, and some fresh herbs. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This is a great way to use up those leftover eggs from Easter! These sandwiches are perfect for a light lunch or Sunday brunch. They go over well as finger foods at a baby or bridal shower.
How to boil eggs?
I use the Rachael Ray technique and it turns out perfect every time. Place your eggs into a pot and fill and cover them with water. Heat uncovered over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and cover with a lid for 15 minutes. Drain the water and fill with cold water and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Peel and enjoy!
What can I use instead of mayonnaise?
If you need to substitute the mayonnaise you can use Greek yogurt in place of it.
What is the best bread for egg salad sandwiches?
Soft white bread
Pile it on a toasted English muffin or my homemade artisan bread
Or just add some to crisp lettuce cups.
Try some of these egg salad add-ins!
Bacon…need I say more?
Chopped red onion
Chopped sweet or dill pickles
Looking for more lunchtime ideas?
- Slow Cooker French Dip
- Tequila Lime Chicken Club
- Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa
- Spicy Buttermilk Chicken Sandwich
Classic Egg Salad
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoon yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill chopped
- 2 teaspoons chives finely chopped
- Add the eggs to a pot and fill with cold water. Bring to a gentle boil uncovered over medium-high heat.
- Remove pan from the heat and cover with a lid. let sit for 15 minutes for a creamy yolk. Drain off the hot water and fill the pan with cold water let stand for 10 minutes. Drain the water and peel.
- Slice boiled eggs in half and scoop out the yolks and place them in a small bowl, and chop the whites.
- Mash up the yolks until crumbly and add in the mayonnaise, mustard, paprika, salt, and pepper and mix until combined.
- Add the mixed yolks, celery, dill, and chives to the chopped egg whites and mix just until combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on bread or lettuce cups.