Hot Ham and Cheese Crescent Roll Sandwiches are a delicious combination of flaky crescent rolls, savory ham, and gooey melted cheese.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
Using just a few simple ingredients you'll have a quick and easy party appetizer for game day like my Chopped Cheeseburger Sliders. Or for an easy dinner serve with some Roasted Garlic Tomato soup for an easy weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
Why This Recipe Works
Hot ham and cheese sandwiches are warm and with goey melty cheese and a layer of delicious ham. If you have a hungry family or are feeding a crowd make a double batch like my easy Breakfast Roll-Ups. Try this quick and delicious recipe for a satisfying meal or appetizer that's sure to please everyone like these Taco Cups.
Ingredients needed for these ham and cheese sandwiches
- Crescent rolls: Original crescent rolls or crescent roll sheets, low-fat crescent rolls work just fine.
- Ham: Leftover ham, Honey ham, ham off the bone, or black forest ham
- Cheese: We love pepper jack cheese but provolone, or cheddar will also be delicious.
- Mustard: I used Dijon mustard, but yellow or spicy mustard will also be delicious.
- Butter: Both salted and unsalted work fine.
- Garlic: Fresh minced garlic is best but garlic powder will work in a pinch.
- Parsley: Fresh parsley or dried parsley works fine, or you can even use some Italian seasoning.
How to make these ham and cheese crescent rolls
- Step 1: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper press a container of crescent dough into a baking sheet and bake. In a small bowl melt the butter and minced garlic in the microwave then add in the parsley.
- Step 2: Spread a layer of mustard on top of the baked dough.
- Step 3: Add thin slices of cheese on top of the layer of mustard.
- Step 4: Followed by the slices of ham, fold them in half if they are thin slices.
- Step 5: Add the second layer of cheese on top of each ham slice.
- Step 6: Place the second crescent roll dough layer on top of the cheese layer brush the melted butter on top and bake until golden brown.
- If you are using original crescent rolls make sure you pinch the seams together as best as possible.
- Add some chopped pickles or peperoncini.
- Store these in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.
- A great way to use up any leftover holiday ham for these cheese croissant sandwiches.
You can use any type of mustard like yellow mustard, spicy brown mustard, stone ground mustard, or even a honey mustard sauce.
While crescent roll dough is commonly used for its flakiness, you can experiment with other dough options like puff pastry, pizza dough, or biscuit dough for a different texture and flavor.
Swiss cheese, cheddar cheese, provolone cheese, American cheese, and mozzarella are all good choices. The best cheese will depend on your personal preferences.
Yes, you can prepare these easy hot ham sandwiches in advance and refrigerate them until you're ready to bake. This makes them a great option for parties or just a quick dinner just prepare them and pop them in the oven right before serving.
Hot Ham and Cheese Crescent Roll Sandwiches
- 2 cans crescent roll dough
- 12 slices deli ham (about 3/4 of a pound)
- 16 slices pepper jack cheese see notes
- 2-3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons parsley, fresh or 1 teaspoon dried
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out one tube of the crescent roll dough onto the parchment paper. Bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the oven and spread the Dijon mustard over the crescent roll dough.
- Place a layer of cheese on top of the mustard.
- Fold each piece of ham and place it on top of the cheese.
- Top with the remaining cheese slices.
- Place the second crescent dough layer on top of the cheese layer.
- In a small bowl melt the butter and then mix in the garlic and parsley.
- Brush the butter on top of the second crescent roll layer.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes, slice and serve.