Lemon icebox cake is a lemony comforting dessert that requires no baking. Topped with a handful of fresh berries makes this delicious dessert hard to resist!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here
This no-bake dessert can be enjoyed year-round but is a favorite during the hot summer months. Creamy lemon filling with shortbread cookies and cake-like layers allow for a refreshing dessert everyone will love.
Why this recipe works
No-bake desserts just scream summer and this one has a creamy light lemony flavor that blends so well with the shortbread cookie layers. It requires simple ingredients with minimal work like my No-bake Oreo Cheesecake and I guarantee this one will be a crowd-pleaser all year long.
- Cream Cheese-Use full fat for best results and make sure its at room temperature.
- Cookies- I use Lorna Doone but any shortbread cookie will work, even graham crackers or Nilla wafers.
- Pudding- Make sure you grab lemon instant pudding mix.
- Lemon juice-Fresh lemon juice is best in. this recipe along with the touch of fresh lemon zest.
How to make this recipe
- Step 1- In a large bowl using an electric mixer beat the softened cream cheese until creamy.
- Step 2- Add in the pudding, lemon juice and vanilla and mix.
- Step 3-Add the half n half into the lemon mixture .
- Step 4- Fold the cool whip into the cream cheese mixture.
- Step 5- Using a rubber spatula spread 1/3 of the creamy filling into an even layer on the bottom of the pan or baking dish
- Step 6- Place 1 layer of cookies on top of the mixture.
- Step 7- Followed by another 1/3 of the mixture and another layer of cookies and the rest of the mixture.
- Step 8- Crumble about 15 short bread cookies and sprinkle on top, cover and refrigerate.
- You can use any short bread cookie or even graham crackers.
- In a pinch you can put the cream cheese in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to soften.
- Its very important to refrigerate this lemon ice box cake for at least 6 hours.
- Adding a few fresh blueberries or fresh raspberries or even some additional lemon slices gives this easy dessert a bit of color.
An icebox cake is a noble dessert made by layering cookies and cream mixture. The cream mixture softens the cookies when it is placed in the refrigerator or icebox for a few hours.
It is simply a mixture of equal parts heavy cream and whole milk. Its found in the dairy section of your local grocery store. You can also make your own half n half by using equal parts heavy cream and whole milk.
Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 6.8 oz instant lemon pudding
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ½ cups half n half
- 8 oz cool whip
- 60 Lorna Doone shortbread cookies
- Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries optional
1. Using a hand mixer beat the softened cream cheese until creamy.
2. Add in the pudding, lemon juice, and vanilla and mix until combined.
3. Add in ½ of the half n half and beat until mixed then add in the rest and beat until mixed.
4. Using a spatula or wooden spoon fold in the cool whip until mixed.
5. Spread 1/4 of the mixture on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
6. Place 24 cookies on top of the mixture, gently spread 1/2 of the remaining pudding mixture over the top, and spread with a spatula.
7. Add another layer of cookies followed by the remaining mixture. Crumble the remaining cookies on top.
8. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or refrigerate overnight.
9. Serve with fresh berries on top.
Cream Cheese-Use full fat for best results and make sure its at room temperature.
In a pinch, you can put the cream cheese in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to soften.
Cookies- I use Lorna Doone but any shortbread cookie will work, even graham crackers or Nilla wafers.
Pudding- Make sure you grab lemon instant pudding mix.
It's very important to refrigerate this lemon icebox cake for at least 6 hours.
Adding a few fresh blueberries or fresh raspberries or even some additional lemon slices gives this easy dessert a bit of color.
Amount Per Serving Calories 328Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 21mgSodium 231mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 1gSugar 13gProtein 4g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.